Pure Maple Syrup??

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Their syrup is great. They also have maple butter. Oh my now that is fantastic.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi from Maple Syrup country (Vermont). I thought I would chime in and explain why maple syrup is so expensive. The first reason is that it takes aprox. 40 gallons of maple sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. It takes alot of wood, which has greatly increased in price, and constant boiling to boil off 39 gallons of water to make that 1 gallon of syrup. Also 1 ten inch diameter maple tree will put out 1 gallon of sap during the sugaring season. The huge trees will put out much more. Another factor is te temperature. You need warm (above freezing) days and cold nights to get the sap flowing and keep it flowing up from the roots. The temperature range that makes the sap flow is narrow. Too cold days. . . no sap. Too warm nights. . . no sap. The window where the temperatures are just right is a very narrow window. The best things are not easy to get nor are they cheap. I will take a pint of real maple syrup over a gallon of the fake stuff any day!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love maple syrup too! It is very expensive though, so sometimes I fake it with white sugar, brown sugar and maple flavoring. Not exactly the best, but not corn syrup either.

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I tapped some of the maple trees on our property last winter. We heat with a wood stove, so I just kept a huge stainless steel kettle on the stove cooking down the sap, adding more to the kettle each day. I ended up with way more sap than the kettle would hold so I started another kettle going on my Dad's wood stove. It was a lot of work, but I did end up with quite a few jars of syrup even after giving a few away. Sure beats the artificial store bought stuff.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Lots of maple syrup making here...some of the locals will tap a few trees in their yards and take it to the maplers in the area in return for finished syrup.

Have you tried cane syrup? Might be more prevalent in your area and tastes pretty darn good! I would say its probably cheaper.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's it! I'm moving north! wait.. let's think this through... In MS you get a growing season from February to October. In Indiana you get maple syrup. What to do? What to DO?!? I can't decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:th

Cassandra

redoak

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Last year we made 58 pints of maple syrup. It took us about 10 days worth of boiling and about 3 face cord of firewood. We've been eating alot of pancakes, waffles and I use it in homemade pork and beans.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
That's it! I'm moving north! wait.. let's think this through... In MS you get a growing season from February to October. In Indiana you get maple syrup. What to do? What to DO?!? I can't decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's right, in MS you have to KEEP WORKING IN THE GARDEN (and keep weeding) most of the year, PLUS no maple syrup. What's your point?

LOL

Pat, to whom in January Mississippi starts sounding awfully good...

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And Pat, every August, I'm wishing I was in Canada!

Cassandra