Putting meat on the table, using what Mother Earth offers us.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I often wonder how many people use the free resources that M/E offers? Although cracking free nuts, drying herbs, and harvesting meat seems like work, its free food.

So this is the thread where I put it all to test. You can expect to see pics of game killed and harvested for food. With small game coming up in a few weeks, expect to see what I harvest for this winter to eat.

** If your not a hunter, expect different results, I am a skilled hunter and I wouldn't advise you to give up your day job**

I also have designed and built a new cold smokehouse, which I will share with you later.

I will also keep a video up date on you tube, selfsufficientjason, as time goes on.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing about the smokehouse! And all the yummy wild game you harvest too. We hope to hit the single hunter limit this year on deer, 3 antlered & 5 non-antlered.

I hope you include some recipes, too :)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
So we are in pre-rut this time of year. As we get closer to rut season the bucks seem to wonder more. :drool

But this time of year, for those bow hunting, know its still pre-rut. But they still shoot/aim and harvest deer during this season.

I am not a trophy hunter, rather harvest deer for food. But bow hunters seem to take advantage of any deer that walks near them. :smack

PICT0007-1.jpg

A simple group of mom and kids wounder looking for good eats. Than a bow hunter shoots at a fawn and hits its neck.
PICT0024.jpg

A tag back to its Mom, in love and glad to be alive.
PICT0025.jpg

I have today posted some signs on my property boarders to warn off general hunters.

I don't mind hunting/harvesting of food. When you get to the point of shooting a 65 pound deer, I have issues.

The bucks are still tucked into the woods eating acorns and fighting with each other this time of year.

Four hen turkeys cross the road right in front of me today, it'll be my luck that I won't harvest one during reg season. LOL..... Just kidding....

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Around here you better have your game cameras and your tree stands tied down pretty good.....and even then sometimes they grow legs. :somad

It can be very relaxing, just setting and watching the deer, movements, checking the trails they use etc. I also posted the property that I hunt to keep out some of the riff-raff. Last year, someone gut shot (bow) a nice 8 pointer that I had given a pass to the week before because I wanted him to grow up a little bit more. They never even bothered to track him. :somad and wasted not only a lot of good meat, but a nice breeding size buck as well. :he Two evenings ago, I had a total of 9 does and yearlings come into the field where my blind is, but the bucks are still waiting until well after dark to come out and eat.

I wish you luck! :thumbsup

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I also have designed and built a new cold smokehouse, which I will share with you later.
cant wait to see this..... a smoke house was on my agenda this summer.... but we didnt get it done. would love to see what you did

:)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
MP, I have a question for you, and I hope this doesn't start a debate, do you have problems with people mounting their first buck, etc. even if they ate the meat? or just when people are just out there for the big one they can mount?

I'm not opposed to someone mounting their catch, my husband has his 10 point on our wall, but I hope they are eating that meat, or at least giving to to someone who will eat it.

My husband enjoys the hunt, but he doesn't want the meat wasted. Last season, he took 2 does. We put one in our freezer and gave the other to an elderly couple down the road. We process our own, but they wanted to send theirs in. They seemed very happy with the meat, but 2 weeks later told DH that the place processing their deer said the meat was rancid and that they couldn't eat it, so the whole deer was thrown away.

Ernie was livid. He said he knows that meat was good, and they wasted a perfectly good deer. He refuses to give them another deer, because they wasted last years.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tony's friend Scott is a trophy hunter. He takes one smaller deer for his freezer, then waits for the trophy! He only picks the biggest and best he can get, if not, he doesn't take the shot. Only the best trophy will do for him. BUT that meat is donated to the food shelters who love to get it and he pays the processing.

So you can trophy hunt and use the meat. Most trophy hunters do that...most are not wasteful.

Tony bow hunts but is careful to take only deer close enough for a great shot. Wounding is so easy to do with bows. Many a season he got nothing cause the shot was not there.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That's what I notice around here, too. The hunters who have self control wait for a killing shot. Those without it (or the new, little hunters) tend to take the bad shots. Our hunters (family and friends) trail their deer as long as hard as reasonable. Every deer is eaten, trophy or not.

SKR8PN--That's my husband's biggest peeve: Passing up a mediocre deer, just to have it shot by somebody else! Even worse to have it gut shot and left to die slowly!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We eat what we kill too. We don't shoot "at" stuff, we only shoot if we have a good clean kill shot. I hate to see someone shoot at something multiple times because they didn't have the patience to wait for a clean shot. We don't waste the meat either and we don't shoot more than we can eat in a year. I would rather take does than smaller bucks anyway, the does need to be managed.

Latest posts