Putting meat on the table, using what Mother Earth offers us.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Thanks, Aly get Ernies butt over to your computer real quick

blackbeara.jpg

blackbear2a.jpg

blackbear3a.jpg

Momma bear is somewhere around 400 pounds if I were to guess.

Total of four bears, momma, last year cub, and two little ones from this year.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
DW wants me to think about duck hunting, I never ate duck before, I hear their fatty if not cooked correctly.
Commercially raised duck can be really fatty...mainly because they fatten them on corn before slaughter. Wild duck is something different all together.

That being said, use a DUCK RECIPE for duck and not just any old chicken recipe for best results.

My plan in raising my own ducks was to be able to eat some as well as use them for eggs. Hard to eat them though when you raise them from babies or watch them hatch out after incubating them yourself. I guess no duck dinners for me! LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
modern_pioneer said:
Thanks, Aly get Ernies butt over to your computer real quick

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt169/modern_pioneer/SS living/blackbeara.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt169/modern_pioneer/SS living/blackbear2a.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt169/modern_pioneer/SS living/blackbear3a.jpg

Momma bear is somewhere around 400 pounds if I were to guess.

Total of four bears, momma, last year cub, and two little ones from this year.
*Gasp!* Mama and her babies are SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darn I wish your camera was color!! :lol:

So what are they eating on in that area? Looks like they sure are enjoying themselves!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We raised ducks one year. They were rather greasy. But I have had duck in various oriental recipes and even though greasy, they were very tasty. I agree with wifezilla, make sure you use a duck recipe when preparing duck.

We used to get very mad with those city slicker hunters, who came up just for the kill. They were rather dangerous too. They would shoot at anything that moved, cats, dogs, goats, cows, each other and themselves.
Then to find a deer carcass in the woods a few weeks later....
Some would come around and ask us (the locals) if we wanted the meat, if they shot one. We always said yes. It was one of the reasons everyone in the family had a tag. We actually never shot a deer. We always got our venison, by sending me out to help people butcher. Once my grandmother got a deer from a hunter.
We were just frugal with everything else and raised it ourselves or foraged in the woods and fields. Then we were lucky to have a very good butcher and made good friends with him.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it were me and it will be soon, ill let a big ole rutted buck move out of my way so i can take the doe. You know you can boil them antlers all day and still not be able to eat'em :lol: I personaly dont like the big ole buck game taste, i prefer a doe any day but i already have a 10 piont on the wall and for Alabama hes no slouch. I did eat all the meat as i cant stand for a person to waste what they kill. they have recently changed the game laws in bama so we can only take 3 bucks a year but as many does as you can get. Alot of folks take squirell, rabbit and turkey here and everyone i know loves game for food.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great pictures! I have to ask about the camera and how happy you are with it. I need to invest in one, for many reasons and hunting scouting will be one, but also we have things missing around here so I'm going to set up for that too.

So which one did you get and have you tried others? How good are the daylight pictures with that one?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
adoptedbyachicken said:
Great pictures! I have to ask about the camera and how happy you are with it. I need to invest in one, for many reasons and hunting scouting will be one, but also we have things missing around here so I'm going to set up for that too.

So which one did you get and have you tried others? How good are the daylight pictures with that one?
I have a Leaf River and I love it. It has a Infra-Red flash on it, so it does NOT scare the critters, PLUS, potential thieves can't spot it by the flash. ;) Just make sure you get a good STRONG locking cable to lock it to the tree with.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
adoptedbyachicken said:

Mine is a Infra-Red stealth cam as noted by the pics. In the dead of night it provides a color of light not seen by animals.

Day light pics are in color, as they should be. The black and white photos are taking during the night, look at the pics and what time they were taken.....

*Gasp!* Mama and her babies are SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darn I wish your camera was color!! lol

So what are they eating on in that area? Looks like they sure are enjoying themselves!!
Acorns/Apples, I set the camera on a oak tree which is dropping seed, and the sour apples that haven't grown as they should.

If you would like to sort through the 403 pics I didn't and post, have at it...

In my parts, its no big deal, hence the reason I asked you or Ernie to hunt for bear on my land.

I think seeing is proof, it is what it it is.....

Need a bear skinned rug? I have bear skin....

Cute doesn't provide meat on the table in my neck of the woods, It is what it is, food to feed my family.