Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
We freeze our corn!

Here is the recipe:
Put into a large roaster
16 cups corn cut off the cob
1 pint whipping cream
1 LB butter

Place in the oven 325 for 1 hour stirring about every 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool. Measure choosen amount into freezer bags.
One thing to keep in mind..it must be cool when you bag it and do not reheat it very fast. I let mine thaw and then heat in sauce pan on the stove on low to medium heat.

This is VERY good. The recipe is from my DH 's grandmother. WE make as much as we can every year!!
Wow!! With that butter and cream, I bet it is incredible!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Me&, I do it the way you do it! Funny how that keeps popping up.... ;)
We must both have excellent taste :cool:

Someone asked about corn on the cob. We usually throw about 2 dozen in the freezer to enjoy in the dead of winter. No blanching, just toss it in, husk and all. It's NOT that incredibly excellent, but in Feb it tastes pretty darn good :)

My husband's cousin makes dehydrated corn and they just eat it for a snack. It's not bad. Kind of sticks to your teeth but a great way to store a lot of it.

His family also used to make "corn nuts" by letting the sweet corn dry down in the field and then pan frying it with seasoning. It didn't work so hot for us last year, but we will try again this year :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grow about 20 acres of corn for sale at the markets. I freeze tons of corn for ourselves and all else is sold and stalks fed to the farm animals. Nothing to waste..LOL

I do not blanch corn before freezing.
Whole cobs are shucked and frozen in bags with 5 in each bag. One meal.

Some is cut off the cob. When I do this I fill the ziploc bag and add water. Enough to make a frozen block of corn. For some reason this cut corn is better frozen in water. Then I add the whole block to a pot and cook. Seems to come out crisper for me.

We do dry some corn for animals if I have tons leftover. That depends on sales at the markets.

Froze fresh corn is wonderful. That is surely something I never buy at the store.

ParsonsWife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi,
I freeze my corn and this is how I do it.

Shuck corn, de-silk it, place in boiling water for 2 minutes (make sure the water is 'boiling')
Place on towels, with a fan blowing to cool quickly, then once cooled place into gallon bags.
Also, I strip the kernals from the corn for whole kernal corn. I boil (in their own juices...no water) in smaller pots 5 minutes.
Cool in cake pans with their juices. Then dip out into bags. Press air out and freeze.

I have another recipe I use for whole kernal corn when I'm not using Esau's corn. (Esau's is the best)
I'll go get it, and add it below.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
We put up corn 2 days ago...3 seed bags full! DH shucked, I desilked, and the MIL cut it off the cob. Then we brought it just to a boil, took it off the heat and drained it. She had a recipe for a 'brine' that you put over it just to cover....

1 C water

3 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

mix well, then when you put your corn in the bag, poor enough brine to cover, then freeze. She said it is supposed to keep it sweet, and fresh...guess we'll see!! :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
We freeze our corn!

Here is the recipe:
Put into a large roaster
16 cups corn cut off the cob
1 pint whipping cream
1 LB butter

Place in the oven 325 for 1 hour stirring about every 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool. Measure choosen amount into freezer bags.
One thing to keep in mind..it must be cool when you bag it and do not reheat it very fast. I let mine thaw and then heat in sauce pan on the stove on low to medium heat.

This is VERY good. The recipe is from my DH 's grandmother. WE make as much as we can every year!!
Why didn't I think of using the oven?! We always cooked it on the stove stirring almost constantly to keep it from sticking. THANK-YOU sooo much for an easier method.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also put it in my big white electric roaster if I am only doing one batch. It saves on electricity and seems not to heat everything up as much!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks - even better! I really appreciate it!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know, if you actually use paper towels ;), you can cook one ear, or even a couple, by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and placing in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Not as good as blanching but it is a quick meal for one! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love corn but I HATE corn
we just picked about 3 truck load beds of corn and are taking it to market in the morning.

Plus right now we are shucking (yes shucking) aboiut 1/2 that corn and placing it in bags for customers who don't want to bother....and yup, we charge great money

but my shoulder is killing. Brought my 3 year old in to put to bed while me and Tony go back out and finish. Should be shucking til about 11 or so tonight.

WHEW
I can't tell ya how much work this is for 2 people. I am dragging big time but I just put up about 15 bags (4 ears per bag) of beautiful corn for the family....that is all I am capable of cause right NOW ---I am so sick of corn..LOL

well back outside. everyone have a great night! farmer market very early.