Quail

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the input @Alaskan and @frustratedearthmother. They are doing much better today. I kept helping the weak ones to drink and then place them by food. Their food is ground finer, most of it almost to a powder. Going to skip the egg meal for today, thinking that maybe they need more carbs for now. The food has been on paper towels, and I added a paper plate with food on it yesterday.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The chicks are totally better now. One chick in group #2 started having the same symptoms! I removed the eggs and the chick got better. Maybe the ones who were affected ate too much of the eggs and no grain. Decided to limit the eggs to maybe every other, or every three days. But no eggs for now.

Added millet to their feed.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The chicks are totally better now. One chick in group #2 started having the same symptoms! I removed the eggs and the chick got better. Maybe the ones who were affected ate too much of the eggs and no grain. Decided to limit the eggs to maybe every other, or every three days. But no eggs for now.

Informative update, and a good one too!

Thanks!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The quail are 3&1/2 and 4&1/2 weeks old. They all were moved to their new enclosure early this morning. There was just a little pecking going on, but since it is all new to both groups, it's been minimal. So far they're doing okay. Some are stressed from being moved, and hiding, but looks like some have been out eating. The love the bush branches.

P5110574 (1).jpg

Here is their outside pen. I have rolls of chicken mesh to attach to the pen so they can't escape.

P5110575 (1).jpg

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chickens used to stay in that shed, so there's a door that leads out into the penned area, so they can all go outside. I hope they go back in at night like chickens do.

The plan is to use the extras for food.

It seems that I'll have to hatch eggs often. I've lost 13, mostly for piling on top of one another, other reasons I don't know. I've read that they die easily. One died yesterday as a result from the stress of moving.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chickens used to stay in that shed, so there's a door that leads out into the penned area, so they can all go outside. I hope they go back in at night like chickens do.

It seems that I'll have to hatch eggs often. I've lost 13, mostly for piling on top of one another, other reasons I don't know. I've read that they die easily. One died yesterday as a result from the stress of moving.
Huh..... bummer

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

i started to raise quail once. they all died on the way home. not for me

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a shame ya'll have had such bad luck. Here - quail are one of the easiest of my critters to raise. They don't get sick, the chicks are easy to raise if they have heat, food and water. The last one I lost literally committed suicide by jumping out of the cage and right into the dogs mouth. She tried to spit him out real fast, but he wasn't having it, lol.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Need to correct this post. The eggs were not the problem, but they were ill. They had labored breathing, and problems walking. That's why they were hiding. Some died, and the others fully recovered. Some didn't get ill at all.