Quail

MeanCheek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Didn't know you could keep them together in a pen. Is that a chicken to the left?
To the very left is an SSC coturnix quail, then the middle is my one melanistic pheasant, and on the right is a (I think) a Scarlet coturnix. Game birds aren't 'supposed' to be kept with chickens because the chooks have diseases they can 't handle, but people do. That's why we have pheasant chicken hybrids.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To the very left is an SSC coturnix quail, then the middle is my one melanistic pheasant, and on the right is a (I think) a Scarlet coturnix. Game birds aren't 'supposed' to be kept with chickens because the chooks have diseases they can 't handle, but people do. That's why we have pheasant chicken hybrids.
Would love to see pics of your pheasant-chickens!

MeanCheek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Would love to see pics of your pheasant-chickens!
Sadly I don't have any. When I said "we" I meant people. Sorry, I'm always so confusing. But here are some screenshots of hybrids online!
Pheasant chicken
Screenshot_20220716-181530_Google.jpg

Peacock chicken
Screenshot_20220716-181547_Google.jpg

Guinea Fowl chicken
Screenshot_20220716-181553_Google.jpg

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Had two eggs for breakfast. Different to "crack" than a chicken or duck egg. I found a quail egg cutter on-line to purchase, but don't like to purchase kitchen gadgets if I don't need to. I will work on streamlining opening quail eggs for now.
I found a quick saw with a serrated steak knife worked great.

Latest posts