Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I love the basket idea - that will be a real blessing to the community! :hugs

I heard on the radio today that we are supposed to get to 30 today and almost 40 by Thursday or Friday. And SUN is in the forecast! :celebrate

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Hope you are out enjoying this weather!!! We are at 42 today! :celebrate
I'm enjoying our weather... I walked outside this morning and said to the dogs, 'what a fabulous day, it feels like spring'... went back inside... it was 30F....

edited for poor grammar :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
The calves, well, that's different. They are the only exception to "don't name what you eat". We name them, because they are smart, learn their names, and will come when called....much like a well trained pup.
My ducks know their names and come when they are called. :( But, I have stopped naming them for the most part. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm glad that things are better now. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
drip drip drip drip

that's the sounds at our house today...of snow and ice melting....

drip drip drip drip

that's the sound of water running off our spoutings and into rain barrels.

I almost got my hopes up, for a nice thaw, but we're dipping below freezing again tonight....so I'm waiting for tomorrow before i get excited!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
It's DAY TWO of our thawing out. I must say, it's extremely nice to be able to go outside and it's not that uncomfortable to do the morning chores.

This morning I have a Speckled Sussex hen acting a bit funny when she walks. I'm planning to cull her out, just so I don't have to spend any time trying to diagnose what's ailing her and try to treat it. She's throwing her front forward, her butt comes up to an almost 90 degree angle when she walks, and she is throwing her feet way out behind her, nearly falling on her face each time she takes a step.

I'm tired of worrying about trying to save every chicken that has a sideways fart. Cull, cull, cull, and cull some more is going to be my new Motto.

This morning, after I finish my 3rd cup of coffee and hopefully rid myself of this nagging headache I've had since yesterday, I'm going to be going outside and doing a thorough cleaning of the coops. The poor chickerdoodles have been penned up since The Deep Freeze started back at Christmas time. They really enjoyed being let out for freedom yesterday, and they couldn't wait for me to open their doors again today.

And lemme tell you....I've been burning through the feed with the chickens penned up!!

After I get the deep cleaning of the coops done, I plan to work on dividing off between the old coop and the new addition, to make 2 breeding pens. Whoot! It's time to start a separating out! whoot!

I'm also making decisions regarding this years chick order, which is not an easy task at all. I have a real sickness when it comes to spring chick orders.

And having a friend that lives 20 minutes a way, and another friend 5 minutes over the hill, both afflicted with the same disease, doesn't help. We're supposed to keep eachother in check and assist in controlling the impulses to buy chicks....um...well....it kind of works in the opposite way...we manage to help the others add to their order, lol.

I just love my friends! :lol: :love Especially since they understand the addiction! :gig

So, Becca and I were talking about a spring order from Ideal, and she's helped me add to what I wanted to order, and during a conversation yesterday where I stated E is gonna kill me, Becca has assured that she will attend and sing at my funeral. :) What a wonderful friend!! :D

I do already have some of my ducks separated....ok, well, just the pair of Rouens and the 'scovies. Last year our Rouen duck went broody for us and hatched 8 babies. I'm hoping we have a lot more ducklings hatch this year!

Out of the layer coop, I've been getting 1 egg every other day. It's a nice milk chocolate colored egg, so I suspect it's either a Langshan or Maran egg. I need to do some close watching of that pen to figure it out.

I plan to move the hens who have no roosters-meaning they are only here for egg laying and not for breeding purposes-to hoop houses this spring. I think the hoop houses will make nice layer coops, and if I can convince E to let me put 2 hoop houses out in the pasture, I will have pastured chickens! whoot!

Or even if he just gives me the field by the driveway, I could move a hoop house or two around there and still have pastured chickens! whoot!

The last couple days have fueled my spring fever. I'm ready. Bring it! :p

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
arent you so excited about the Big Melt!?!? this morning it was a little slippery but the promise of 40*+ just has me all a-twitter. yesterday i just puttered around outside because i could!!!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry to be the voice of disagreement again, but I want it to freeze again. It is supposed to rain here for the next 2 days and we will once again have a January lake in the middle of our property, which is what prevents me from moving forward on goats. I hate January rain. Mud, mud everywhere. Come on dry weather and sunshine!
Glad to hear you could let your chickens out. I must have weird birds - they avoid the coop if at all possible. Rain, snow, they don't care. Nice, warm cozy coop and they would rather stand in a puddle :hu
How's your calf doing?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is usually the way my hennies are too Java, but something about -25 windchill and they had all but given up going outside. I think they are still not trusting the weather. They are going out now, but they go racing in at the slightest stiff breeze! :lol:

Funny how it is Aly, a few little drips from melting snow and I found myself surfing the online hatchery catalogs as well. Must be a conditioned response to melting snow! :gig