Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thanks, just! yep! I was so excited, and still am, over having used the saw myself...didn't even ask E where it was .... lol just got it and did the job...now i wanna know what else I can come up with to use that saw on :gig

and today, I found that my nesting boxes worked GREAT! the straw is still clean, not poopy, and I already got 2 eggs this morning!!!!! from two different nests!!

WHOOOT!!!!

Already been out to feed the calves and chickerdoodles...guineas are already starting to unnerve me..stupid loud bafoons! I tried kicking them out of the chicken coop yesterday, but they still found a way back in. grrr

now I'm wondering what i can get into today. i'm supposed to head over to Becca's sometime today to pick up some duck eggs for my 'bator. (My ducks aren't laying yet...)

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found that my nesting boxes worked GREAT! the straw is still clean, not poopy, and I already got 2 eggs this morning!!!!! from two different nests!!
I plan on reading this to my our darling chickens when I go out this afternoon. It's been there mission to make the coop a poppy mess each day. And clean straw does not impress them anymore.
And, eggs.........none yesterday. I had to threaten them with no treats today. I'm sure I heard them snickering behind my back.

You've trained yours well!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Congratulations on using the saw! I still refuse to use TR's old chainsaw ... but that is because I can't pull it hard enough to get it started. :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, today was a great day!

I now have two breeds in their own pens, my pair of Appenzeller Spitzhaubens and my Speckled Susesx. whoot!!

AND we got SEVEN -that's right- SEVEN eggs today! whoot! only 2 of those 7 were bantam eggs!

Not sure who in the big coop is laying, but I do believe one of the eggs was a BBS Orp egg whoot!

I cannot tell you how egg-cited I am over those eggs! whoot!

Cleaned out another coop today, and nearly killed a guinea, but he was asking for it.

Guineas are evil in the barnyard.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Guineas are evil in the barnyard.
Told you so. :p
:tongue

It's just the males giving me problems...they like my hens-not guinea hens, my chicken hens!

the worst one went after a Welsummer hen and I had to beat him off her with the feed scoop.

Another Welsummer hen was hiding in a corner, trying to be as small as possible, in hopes the guinea would run right by her.

Stupid guinea.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your "helmet heads" problem. I had Guineas.....once! Then I found someone that actually WANTED them...so they went bye-bye! I almost felt guilty haveing them pay for those stupid-loud-aggressive-chicken killing- birds! But as they drove away with them, I felt a huge smile creep across my face, and I heard myself sigh. Peace has again been restored!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, we do want to keep the guineas.

The solution is to fix them up their own abode. :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
First congrats on the new saw skills! I knew you could do it!

I think the thing that most stood between me and power tools was the loud noises. When I discovered earplugs I was free to saw!

I got two eggs today out of three hens, so I see the famine ending here as well. You are right about how exciting a couple of cackle berries can be.

My sister has about 30 guineas of different colors. It was her guinea that I sent in for the picture of the week. She really loves hers. But then again she has no chickens for them to fight with. She only has a few ducks.

By the way did you know that in rare instances a guinea CAN cross with a chicken. They can. The vast majority of eggs will not hatch but every now and then ... Guin-Hen.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yea, I think I read somewhere that there's like a 10% chance a Guinea crossed with a chicken will hatch.

And the pics I've seen of the crosses are U-G-L-Y! So, sorry, not brave enough to click on that link! :lol:

My oldest 2 kids had their first 4H meeting tonight. They were picking their projects, and both chose to show poultry.

DD chose to show Muscovey Ducks! whoot!

DS has chose to show laying chicken-I think he picked Rhode Island Red...

So I was a little freaked about having to order in their birds and where the heck was I going to find muscovey ducklings....but I guess their 4H leader orders in all the birds for them, and we just pick up.

Note to self-get more details on obtaining the birds!

I am new to all this 4H stuff, and a bit nervous I guess, not sure how it all works.

Like, for instance, I didn't find out just how many birds each of the kids will be getting to raise up.

DS said he's pretty sure she said he'll get 3 chicks to bring home, and he can show up to 2, but I have no clue how many ducklings DD will be bringing home.

Next meeting is February 2, and I'm going to make sure I get some answers LOL