Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:gig :lol:

Are you SURE you only went to BR's to get a goose?

Sheesh! The language around this place!
:gig

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, so I am now an official member of the PISSI club. I have not laughed that hard in so long. My eyes are watering and my son thinks I flipped my lid.

thank you all. (gina says humbly as she takes a bow)

ducks, ducks, ducks, I will practice typing that over and over.

gina :hide

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Gina, considering the "I" is right next to the "U" on the keyboard, I'm sure any of us could make that typo! :lol: Just not with the same amount of grace you had. :)

I've got pics!

I totally forgot to take my camera with me up to BR's....it was all the excitement I guess....lol

Plus, Becca and I were talking poultry the whole way up there....

Anyhoo...ran out this morning and snapped a couple shots....I didn't even get a pic of the new turkey...but that's E's not mine so....

This is Dash Jr. Isn't she beautiful?! :love

January2010006.jpg

I'm telling you, I was determined, I wasn't leaving there without a Dash baby! I was ready to dive bomb into the mud and wrestle her down if I had to!

And the unnamed pair of Embdens...

EmbdenPair.jpg

That Gander gave us the wake up call at 5 am this morning! :ep I pop straight up to the "hooooooonk hoooooonk hooooooooooonk" sound coming from the back yard...AND HE WOULDN'T SHUT UP!

I love it! Nothing's getting through my yard now!

After a few days of being penned up, I'll open the gate and give him some free range time! :D

Yes, Justusnak, muscovies fly very well! Ours don't really fly too far from us because I think they know where their bread is buttered so to speak. LOL We can't really get close to them.

Our mallards fly way better than the 'scovies, and thankfully, they're staying around, too! :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my!! Dash jr is beautifull! NOW she need a mate! ;)
Love the geese....I have been tossing around the idea of geese..but im still tossing it around..LOL Not sure I am ready for more noise. LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Like I said before, sometimes my fingers can't keep up with what I am thinking. I don't think spell check would have caught that anyways.

That's is a pretty DUCK. Sorry but I don't remember reading about Dash. Can you give me the details?

Geese.... When we go to our local feed store there are two that wander around the animal pens. We stay clear of them. They are very intimidating. If they are yours are they nice to you? I was there once and little brown duck kept attacking my feet. Whats up with that?

Well, congratulations on them all. When do the piggies come home?

gina

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
A mate?! LOL I already had a muscovey drake! he doesn't have a name yet.

Yep, I already had a black and white drake, and a blue and white duck, I just wanted a Dash baby because...well, it's a Dash baby!

*grins*

I'm hoping my drake will take good care of both gals and I'll have lots of baby 'scovies! whoot!

This is my blue and white 'scovie duck.

January2010013.jpg

She's a year old, and so is my drake. I'll try to get a pic of the drake later if this rain lets up.

I have a pair of Pilgrim Goslings coming in April. They are supposed to be a quieter, more calm goose breed, so we'll see.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Like I said before, sometimes my fingers can't keep up with what I am thinking. I don't think spell check would have caught that anyways.

That's is a pretty DUCK. Sorry but I don't remember reading about Dash. Can you give me the details?

Geese.... When we go to our local feed store there are two that wander around the animal pens. We stay clear of them. They are very intimidating. If they are yours are they nice to you? I was there once and little brown duck kept attacking my feet. Whats up with that?

Well, congratulations on them all. When do the piggies come home?

gina
Dash is ohiofarmgirl's Mama Duck to all her baby 'scovies. :D

Um...Goslings imprint to whomever they first see when they hatch...well sorta, I guess. The goslings I've raised always followed me around for a bit, until they got bigger, but I didn't get to really raise goslings from babyhood to adulthood yet...Mine were slaughtered in my run by 2 legged human thieves as juvieniles. Until they were murdered, tho, they were very friendly towards me.

The adult group of Embdens I had got last year, they didn't like us at all! The Gander hissed and attacked any chance he could. But, they were old, and the gander passed away last fall. So I hauled the old ladies up to sale.

My only duck I ever had attack my feet is Gary the duck, my Mallard drake. He calmed down after we got him some gals, tho. Everytime I went in to feed, Gary would come after me and grab my pant leg...He'd hold on with all his might and I'd be dragging him around with me doing all the feedings....was quite annoying at the time...but now that he doesn't do that anymore, I almost miss the behavior. It was cute, and he used to be quite friendly.

But, like I said, now he has 3 gals and he has other things on his mind. lol

The piggies come home in about a week - basically sometime the first week of February.

I told ya'll 2010 is going to be a great year!! :D

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Oh no! I don't mind! :) I just snapped that one this morning around 8 am, and it was just getting light out, but it's overcast and cloudy today, so not a good picture taking time. LOL

Thank you for editing it!

My blue 'scovie had a red and white 'sovie sister, so I'm hoping that color gene carries on into some of her babies.

I saw pics of a chocolate 'scovie in a catalog the other day....if I'm not careful, I may end up with a new addiction....

:hide