Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ACK! The White Mess is back!! and with a vengeance! They are predicting that we'll be getting 3-4 inches by 7 pm, another 6-12 inches overnight, and another 2-4 inches Monday.

I'M BEING BURIED ALIVE IN SNOW!!!

OK, maybe not, but it sure seems that way! this crap is going to make feeding critters the next few days a total pain, and we're already having to shovel paths out for the piggies.

I am sooooo ready for S P R I N G.

I am sick sick sick sick sick sick SICK of s n o w!! :he :barnie

If ya'll don't hear from me tomorrow, send a search party. :p

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have 7 to 8 inches now and looking to double it overnight. Whew, glad this is happening on a Friday! We had someone get stuck in our driveway and thank goodness DH was home recovering from being sick yesterday because there is no way I could have gotten her unstuck. It's slick as snot out there. Don't get lost out there while taking care of the critters :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh QA, I know the feeling! We too are getting more of this white...stuff. :/ UGH! Stay warm...and safe!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Ok, I'll have to get that new battery for my camera, so I can take some pics of sunshine and green, so I can post it for all of you buried in snow. Maybe it'll help you hang in there 'till spring.

I dug up some of my garden beds today. Mandy, my BO was right there underfoot, making sure she got every earthworm I exposed, and I dug up plenty of them for her. I was thinking about you in snow country, and how fortunate I am to be able to turn my garden bed in February, wearing jeans and a long sleeved sweatshirt.

You might want to put rope between your house and the barns, so you can find your way ;)

Hope you all stay safe and warm.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
On our hill, the snow drifts, so thanks to that, the deepest parts of our yard are about to my thighs....I'm only 5'4.

The lower areas still come to my boot tops....yep, we definitely got about a foot of snow. Two foot of the crap had drifted onto our wood box out our back door. I had to go out this morning and unbury it.

In a few minutes, I'm gonna trudge out and check on all the critters....no runs will be opened today.

My van looks like a big white mound in the driveway.

There will be no coming and going out of our place for several days.

What's even funnier, since we don't live on a major road for the county, they won't even try to dig us out. Our road will be closed-especially since one cannot tell where our property ends and the road begins right now.

I'll try to get pics in the morning light...too dark here right now.

I think I could lose a toddler out there! :hide

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And here I've been complianing about rain (& flooding) - I hope ya'll don't get much more and that ya'll are all safe and warm.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
OK, here's some pics from today....

The chicken coop - this is the new addition that was built on last fall...sure doesn't look bad....but if you look to the right, you can see the drift.

chickencoop.jpg

Here's my van. Eeek!

ourvan.jpg

Pine tree in our back yard -

pinetree.jpg

And here's what put me into full panic mode........

pigkennel.jpg

:ep That's where my piglets live! OMG! OMG MY PIGS REALLY WERE BURIED ALIVE!!!!!!!

Inside the kennel

insidepigkennel.jpg

insidekennelwall.jpg

The snow inside the kennel was so deep, and I was freaking out, I just knew my poor piggies (or at least two of them) had bit the dust....I could only see two little bodies in their little house.

Went inside and crouched under the netting that was weighted down with snow (do ya'll realize how dumb that was of me?!) I wasn't even thinking about myself, or what would happen if that collapsed in the rest of the way with me IN it....all I was thinking was, "are my pigs OK? is there a pig buried under this White Death?"

Nope, all piggies were safe and in their house. But I was FREAKING OUT!

We never gave a second thought to leaving the netting that covered the kennel up when we put the piggies in. Remember, this was at one time our covered turkey run, and I was figuring on putting the turkeys back in it after we moved the piglets out.

But, thank goodness, the piggies are fine, and here they came looking for breakfast. :lol:

piggiessafe.jpg

I did get the snow brushed off the netting, and cut down some of the netting. I have to go back out and finish shovelling the pig pen out...as best as I can anyway. This snow is heavy and W E T!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hunker down and stay warm Aly. I was watching the news this morning and it seems the upper NE is getting hammered. They kept showing pics of the grocery stores with empty shelves and telling people they would have to stay put for several days.

Sounded like a stay-cation to me.

Be safe.

gina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Wow. What a snow mess! Glad the piggies are alright.

We got some snow here as well. It was supposed to be 6 inches but ended up being about 2 and since the temps stayed much higher than they thought the streets actually stayed quite clear.

Still glad we did not get as much as you all did. On the other side of the coin, night temps are supposed to plummet back down to around 7 over the weekend.