Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is sure a lot of snow!!!

It looks lovely but I am sure it is a pain in the neck to function in.

I hope spring comes soon for you Aly Girl!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
yea, I think the snow is beautiful.....when someone else is getting it!

We've been out to feed critters - I can honestly say that for the first time, that was a real chore! :barnie

We've got the shovels out and we're gradually shovelling paths from the house to all the critter pens.

I can't open the Maran coop hardly at all except for a few inches! E suggested once I get my path out to there finished, have one of the kids squeeze in the small opening I can make, and hand the kid a shovel to move some of the snow. That's prolly what I'll have to do.

Church services are most likely going to cancelled tomorrow.

I'm wondering what OFG is up to in all this White Death. :p I'm sure she'll have some great stories to regale us with she she pops on! :lol:

I'm sure wishing SKR8PN was my neighbor right now :p :lol:

The cattle and my ducks are the only critters who don't see bothered by any of this mess.

We actually saw a snow plow go down our road! :th

My tall boots weren't tall enough....I got snow down in them...and it melted and when I went to put them back on, I got wet feet.

Changed socks, brought boots in by the woodburner.

When I was trying to get into the pig pen this morning, I lost my footing and fell backwards. While I did make a crater in the snow, I ended up with snow down my pants and in areas where you just don't want snow to end up. :/

E thought it was hilarious. :/

Me, not so much. It was a little bit of an uncomfortable trudge back to the house. :lol:

Soon as I finish my cup of coffee, and my gloves are dried out, I'm gonna be back out shovelling paths....sigh.

ETA: On a side note, today the local weather man said with all this snow, he's hoping we don't have a Big Thaw soon.

As much as I want the White Mess gone, and fast, I'd have to agree, a Big Thaw will not be good. We live in an area that's prone to flooding anyway...so I'm sure this spring we'll find the two little towns we live between under water....and we'll still be stuck at home.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow QA. So glad to hear the piggies are OK. And that you made it through it OK!!! I went out to find similar....the turkey and chicken pens caveing in. So, fever or not, I had to shake it loose. Yup..all over me, down my back, in the boots. UGH! At least with the fever, it melts fast! LOL Time for a hot shower, and the warm fire...untill dinner feeding. Be safe out there!!

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can imagine the sinking feeling you had seeing that and worrying your piggies were under it. So glad they are ok!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you got dumped on.... the pics look like our farm did in the past... all winter long. :D We only got about 4 inches of snow, but the wind is 25 to 30 mph today; so it is cold.

The snow should help block any drafts for your piggies and poultry.

Stay warm!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh My! I am so glad your piggies are OK. My 3 year old just looked out the window and yelled "too much snow!" I guess she's done with winter too. I think this is enough for me also. Losing power last night did it. Time for spring.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So, now we're on the same page, Javamama? :lol:

Except, while I am ready for spring, I don't want this to thaw too fast!

The snow has STOPPED finally! whoot!! I see BLUE SKY and the sun is trying to shine.

And my children are begging to go outside and play in this White Mess.

We got the vehicles cleaned off, and E got his truck out the driveway. He took it 500 ft up the road to check on his dad. That's the only consideration for going out in this garbage, to check on elderly parents. Er, elderly parents that live just 500 ft up the road. :lol:

My parents called to see how things were here. My step dad was proud of the fact that he shovelled out their driveway.

We should have had this snow for CHRISTMAS! Not now when we're all patiently waiting (or is that impatiently?) for spring!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Whoa!! You got more snow than I did!!
I am glad to hear your piggies are all ok!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Aly, I am glad you and your critters are OK. It does suck having to work with all that mess and having to make repairs.

At least the kids will have fun playing in it and be good and worn out, when they come back inside (I hope).
We used to layer plastic bags with socks in order to keep our feet dry, because we nearly always managed to get snow in our boots. There is nothing worse than getting wet feet in the cold, brrrr.

Oh and you might be able to get the kids to learn about Eskimos and you all can try to build an igloo. At least that is one way to get something useful out of all that snow ;) Actually it sounds like your snow is too wet to make snow blocks for an igloo. When I was a kid, we tried to make igloos on several occasions. We either didn't have enough snow, or it melted too fast or it was the wrong kind of snow.
But depending on what the weather will bring in the next few days, you and your kids might be able to get creative. If it freezes, you can make snow caves in the drifts, you just always want to be cautious about the snow caving in.