Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I KNOW I KNOW!!!!! BLACK COPPER MARANS!!! Right???? Do I get a prize!?? LOL Like some fertile eggs when you get them. ;)
Actually, I am getting some BCM chicks on March 30, but no, that's not what I'm getting on Monday.

Up-The-Creek and FarmerDenise - you're both close as in it is waterfowl.....

and a prize, hmm....... I could do a prize, I s'pose....like hatching eggs.....

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Nope, not swans....

if someone wants to go digging - well, i posted about it in my blog....lol

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's Sebastobol Geese! How cool! Those are beautiful! Did I win :D

Wow, a full grown breeding pair is awesome, but you are really getting a quad?

I asked you a question a few pages back, but it got buried - we might do ducks for 4-h. What in your opinion would be good starter ducks for us? Looking for something small. I have to find out what is actually allowable too, I guess?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
we might do ducks for 4-h. What in your opinion would be good starter ducks for us? Looking for something small. I have to find out what is actually allowable too, I guess?
Small as in bantam or small as in medium size? Silkie bantam ducks are rather adorable. I have no experience with them though.

I have right now 1 runner and 4 welsh harlequins. The welsh harlequins are slightly bigger than the runner and the khaki's I used to have but not by much. Runners are a total riot and can be very friendly when hand raised. Welsh Harlequins are even friendlier.

Both of these breeds are excellent egg layers. The main difference is harlequins are mellower and make a better meat bird. I don't think a runner would be worth the time it took to pluck it.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Javamama said:
It's Sebastobol Geese! How cool! Those are beautiful! Did I win :D

Wow, a full grown breeding pair is awesome, but you are really getting a quad?

I asked you a question a few pages back, but it got buried - we might do ducks for 4-h. What in your opinion would be good starter ducks for us? Looking for something small. I have to find out what is actually allowable too, I guess?
My vote would be Welsh Harlequin, or call ducks - if you can get call ducklings to start with that is! Calls are difficult to hatch, but make nice pets and are very friendly if raised from duckling to adult.

My Welsh Harlequin is friendlier than my Blue Swedes, but not so friendly that she'll eat out of my hand - and that's because i have just not spent enough time out there.

My 'scovies are way flighty. The rouens and mallards are also flighty.

And yes, a whole quad of Sebbies - for roughly the cost of what it would be to order 2 day old goslings and have them shipped in!

Dace, I have pics - but they're not MY pics. I have the pics that their current owner took of them last year.

Oh, and did I tell ya'll that ONE of the Geese is a blue/grey curly feathered Sebbie?! :D

These came from Holdderreads, so they were bred from show quality birds, but their current owner hasn't shown these specific birds.

Here's the listing, where you can see pics. She said she was going to delete the ad, since I said I'd definitely come get them - we're actually debating whether or not we can get out today to go get them - but we're supposed to get more snow and where they are, they got even MORE snow. So, we'll see...

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/grd/1619056072.html

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good, you all confirmed what I was thinking - Welsh or Khakis, and they are pretty much a tie for me. Calls look cute, but might be hard to obtain. Although with Easter coming up soon, who knows what we may find. I have been won over to the dark , er..duck side :D

Totally off topic comment. Why can't my daughter eat anything - and I mean anything! without making a huge mess and/or dropping it on the floor? The other 2 didn't have this problem. She literally has to smear every snack and meal from head to toe and on all surroundings. :barnie

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Some children absorb nutrients better through their skin I think

:gig

Good, you all confirmed what I was thinking - Welsh or Khakis, and they are pretty much a tie for me.
And now for the tie breaker...

Do you want a duck that will brood its own ducklings? (welsh harlequin)
Or would you rather not bother or hatch them yourself in an incubator? (khaki)