Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Our dd used to pass out all the time and testing showed that she would have a quick drop in blood pressure. We never caught it in the ER because it only lasted a short time.

For dd they increased her salt intake.

TR used to pass out as a kid, and they found out he is hypoglycemic and needs to eat several small meals during the day to keep his blood sugar levels even.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
so today was sorta productive - sorta, because I spent most of my time sweatin' out vacation ideas :lol: I think we have a good idea now of what we want to do, and where we want to go....

E and our oldest 2 kids worked on getting the floor started on the girls' bedroom. YAY! Floor is all framed in, and attached to the house. Now, just need the OSB to go down ontop - hopefully we can go sometime this week to get that.

Then we can start putting up the sidewalls!!! :celebrate

During the hot part of the day, E and I turned on the hose and instigated a nice water fight with the kids (and eachother :p ) and that was fun.

Fed and watered all the critters, and handed out this weeks pink slips. :p

Plan for tomorrow -

- we're taking 10 hens to auction. 4 Black Australorps, 5 NHR, and 1 Columbian Wyandotte
- taking a young pair of Silver Laced Wyandottes and 1 three month old BA pullet
- extra bantam Faverolle cockerels that I don't want to keep
- some miscellaneous stuff from the old house we've decided NOT to keep (decluttering!)

I also think I'm going to start trying the envelope system, because we have enough "junk" to start setting up at the local flea markets, and once the produce is on we're going to try setting up at the local farmers market.

My parents were here today - which was almost a disaster, but not quite. Mom was worried about "fixing my garden hose because it was kinked" and I told her it was fine, I'd get it later. She asked me why do I get testy when she's "trying to help me."

Well, I ignored her, but if I had answered her it would have been ugly if I would have told her how offensive I find it that she wants to fix or clean up my place, but she won't do anything to her own (not even wash dishes).

I could have seen that NOT going over well at all.

But I was a good girl, held my tongue, and she bought my only remaining Spitzhauben chick :weee and has put an order in for some of the BBS Ameracauna I'm incubating :weee

Ok, so I shouldn't complain about mom too much, because she is a good chick customer, but that's about her best quality :hide

We don't like that they stuffed all 4 of their family into a single cab truck - not enough seats or seatbelts and NOT SAFE at all for them, and they have my handicapped sister stuff in there, too. :he I can't say that my mom and step dad are firing on all cylinders.

But over all it was a decent day. :) Mom left her bee veil with me so I can work my hive :weee (ok, so that was a good quality, too)

Sounds bad that I have to look for the good in my mom :(

We did ask her about coming out to feed/water critters if we go away for 3 days, and she didn't reply or comment at all. So, that's a no. LOL

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am not good at holding my tongue when I'm feeling like that! Good for you!
Hope DD is doing well. I did something sort of similar in college. We were going from a science classroom down to the lab. The door at the top of the stairs had a hydraulic or whatever kind of mechanism that pulled it closed automatically. My elbow got caught in it and it was a really heavy door. I didn't think anything of it but halfway down the stairs I got really fuzzy headed and realized I was passing out. I had just enough time to grab the hand rail and slump. I thought I had called out the name of the classmate right behind me but she said I just said something nonsensical. I was only out for a few seconds and was okay but a little nauseous after. Wonder if something like that is similar to what your DD did?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
A BYC'er is willing to buy BOTH pairs of my call ducks if I'm willing to ship!

So, since legally I CAN ship, I'm checking into it!

Kind of excited, too, since it will be my first time shipping live birds!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Mom left her bee veil with me so I can work my hive :weee
Don't forget to take pics when you are working your hive. :D

Try to get some shots looking into the cells on the frames. As a new beek, it can be hard to see the queen's eggs while you are holding the frame.

If you take pics, you will be able to zoom in on the cells while at the computer. You may also see some things you didn't catch while inspecting.... like this pic I got of two worker bees transferring nectar.

Bees6-7-1015closeup.jpg

Look to see how many frames are built up with cells. Look for a pattern to the way the frames are filling up. And for the queen's egg-laying pattern.

Look for the queen. Your mom told me she had her queens marked; so the queen will have a colored dot on the top of her thorax (back). The color tells you what year she was a new queen. The colors are:
white or grey (for years ending 1 or 6)
yellow (for years ending 2 or 7)
red (for years ending 3 or 8)
green (for years ending 4 or 9)
blue (for years ending 5 or 0)

If the bees haven't filled out 7 out of the 10 frames yet, remove the top deep hive body. Put the inner cover over the deep hive body before adding the telescopic top cover.

Inspect the deep hive body you removed. Scrape off any burr comb the bees built on it. Save that wax in a jar or ziploc bag and freeze it. When you have a larger quantity, you can use it to make candles or soap.

Put the removed hive body into closed storage until you need it. This is the time to buy the frames/foundation for the top deep super.

Once the girls in the hive have built up the cells in 7 out of the 10 frames in the hive body, you need to add the top deep hive body with frames.

Keep hydrated! I see the weather is supposed to be hot and sunny early this week, with temps in the 90s!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Mom said the best time to work the hive is between 2 and 4 pm when most of the bees are out of the hive foraging, because it's the warmest part of the day.

Your input, Kel?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Mom said the best time to work the hive is between 2 and 4 pm when most of the bees are out of the hive foraging, because it's the warmest part of the day.

Your input, Kel?
Yep, that is what "the books" say. Is it really the warmest part of the day and the bees are out? Depends on the day, depends on the colony. After you watch your hive a bit, you will be able to determine how that works for you. I know that the day the colony swarmed, it was earlier than 2 pm! And you could certainly say that most of the bees were out of the hive then! :lol: ;)

I tried to be in the hive by noon or 2 pm at the latest. After that, the shade of the hawthorn tree blocked the sun and made cell inspection harder. Another good reason for taking pics. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
well i was out there earlier today watching hive activity, and several bees are flying out and the ones flying in are loaded with pollen! They almost look like they are wearing hip boots when they come in LOL

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Good time to start keeping track of what is in bloom and what color pollen they are bringing into the hive.

The full pollen baskets always reminded me of those old bicycle carriers that fit over the bag wheel. ;) Sometimes when the girls come back to the hive, they are so heavily laden that they have trouble negotiating the entrance to the hive.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Last year a windstorm came through and took our beautiful stainless steel grill, with the extra side burner for pan cooking, right off our porch and destroyed it.

So, E built this......................

100_0598-Copy.jpg

I took the picture on Mother's Day, as we were cooking out with my parents.

It worked out really well as a grill! :lol:

and since it's so swealtering hot out there, and I'ma not awantin' to cook INSIDE, we're grilling steaks on it tonight! :celebrate

And I think I have the makin's for s'mores....