Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oooh, I like that grill Aly! Food cooked over fire is the best :drool

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the simplicity of it.
I'd be a bit nervous about bricks exploding if they got too hot (those aren't fire bricks, are they?). But maybe used like you have it doesn't make much difference?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
No, I don't think they are firebricks, but we've so far only used it twice, and we don't keep a rip-roaring fire burning in it, so it really hasn't got that hot.

It cooks FAST, too....so we have to watch the meat or whatever we're grilling closely.

But our steaks last night were SUPER juicy - and nothing was left mooing in the middle! (we're well done people around here!)

Hot dogs are a little harder to cook, because the grates are large enough for them to slip through, so I'm going to work on that problem next time we think of grilling 'dogs for the kidders.

In other news, I'm stepping into a WHOLE NEW WORLD of Poultry Sales!!

IF this current sale I'm working on goes through - and I sure hope it does since I've worked on it all morning so far to figure shipping, tell of the post master, etc - I am going to be in the business of SHIPPING LIVE BIRDS!!

This will expand my customer base - and if it goes well, I may skip the whole shipping eggs bit and just sell chicks! or adults! or whatever!!

My local post master, though, is NOT happy with me! LOL She tried to give me the runaround about having to be a working hatchery - well, guess what nitwit? I AM! It's called NPIP HA HA!!!

So hopefully it all works out, and I have a whole new side to my business opened up. Shipping might add a bit more stress, but it is going to be so worth it if I can expand my business (funny coming from me who wants to downsize) and ship to people! Right?

Right.

At least I hope so.

Because if I can ship, say nice Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks, and actually make $ at this poultry game, then maybe I COULD afford to pay someone to care for my animals for a few days SO I CAN GO OFF FARM.

Anyway, E and I have agreed that the $ from the call duck sale is enough to fix the van (needs brakes and wheelbaring) and then if there's anything left over, we're putting it back towards our "family trip" whatever it turns out to be.

I also have birds listed on CL and have had plenty of emails on them, so hoping I have some more sales later this week! :D

eta: was just thinking, if the van repairs doesn't use up ALL of the $ from the call duck sales, it would also be almost enough to buy my bee veil and jacket for working the hive.....hmmmmm......

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
:fl I think I may have both pairs of call ducks sold - not sure until the payment is actually sent, though!

But, if they are sold - car repairs and bee suit here I come!!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, the calls will be shipping out on June 13 and the Pilgrims will be picked up this weekend. :D

Finally got to talk with the local beek tonight - he was super nice and said he's going to make a couple calls tomorrow because there is another beek close to me here in my little village who may be able to come out tomorrow to help me. :)

Did a drive job for Amish tonight, and it's probably my last one. It just isn't worth being gone 4 hours and only making what I made.

And if I up the rate, they'll cry that they can't afford it.

So. It's no driving. :)

This family did pick up all their trash, though!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
A little tip I heard years ago is to pack a big chunk of watermelon with the adult poultry when shipping them. It is supposed to help keep them hydrated without being able to spill.