Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
TWELVE

I have 12 adult large fowl chickens! it's true! we counted them today!

After the Salmon Fav's go to their new home, I'll have 4 Bantams here! FOUR. It's true. We counted today. (Bantam cochins I might add).

I do have 2 LF chicks coming up - 1 Black Sumatra and the only BLRW cockerel I kept from my early hatches this spring. So. When they are bigger, they will make 14.

And. I do have 2 or 3 Lavender Orps hatching - so they will make 16 or 17.

But.

21 chickens are a lot less work than 150 chickens :p

Ducks - 7 Mallards right now, 1 egg due to hatch any day, and 2 call duck eggs (laid before they were shipped to FL) due to hatch in a few days. :p

And 7 Turkeys.

Manageable numbers without being too too crazy. :p

I told ya'll, didn't I?

Didn't believe me, did you???

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thats great!! I had a pile of birds earlier last month and I reduced and am down to amanageable 49 :p hopefully 47 soon

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:th and :th again!!

I am proud as punch. What a hard thing to do. I know cause I have done it before.

I had to come to the place where I was content to raise my food and not be concerned with the chickens as an income.

What will you do with all of that extra time? Possibly kiss a hubby and hug some babies? ;) :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I had to come to the place where I was content to raise my food and not be concerned with the chickens as an income.
Well, I DID keep my Blue Laced Red Wyandottes :) I had no trouble selling their chicks (in fact, had more customers than chicks :th ) so 5 (6 if you count the cockerel coming up) of those birds are BLRW. :)
I have my pair of Sumatras, plus one chick coming up that I'm not sure on gender yet (but I think pullet).
Three Speckled Sussex hens for egg laying.
One Columbian Wyandotte hen for egg laying (she's a great layer when she is in lay!)
And 1 Coronation Split Roo - who is just too pretty so he's eye candy for now like the Sumatras are. :)
and 4 Bantam cochins - 1 black roo that's DD's pet, 2 mottled pullets, and 1 mottled cockerel.

There is a LF Salmon Faverolle cockerel that will either be culled or sold at Auction if he grows any. His feathering is coming in badly and he hasn't really grown much.

Farmfresh said:
What will you do with all of that extra time? Possibly kiss a hubby and hug some babies? ;) :D
Well, I have a list....

1. mow

2. spend more time with bees

3. mow

4. finish the room additions

5. mow

6. spend more time with bees

7. organize the house

8. mow

9. spend more time with bees

10. have a baby

and then it will look something like this

1. nurse baby
2 change diaper
3 get kids off to school
4 nurse baby
5 change diaper
6. wash baby
7 do laundry
8 clean house while attemtping to nurse baby simultaneously (it CAN be done!)
9 change diaper
10 fix dinner
11 welcome kids home from school
12 eat dinner while nursing baby
13 change diaper
14 get kids ready for bed
15 get baby ready for bed
16 wake up multiple times during the night to feed, change, cuddle baby.
17. Wake up next morning and start all over again.

So, I'm trading one type of time consumer for another :D

did i mention mowing and bees? and somewhere in there we have the goats.................and getting Blessing uh serviced....

eta: I don't really do all that mowing - I have to mow around my bees, though, that's what E and I agreed on when I got them. AND the oldest 2 kids do help with a lot of the chicken chores now since the numbers are down - they fill the waterers while I get the feed. And, they help clean out the pens.

As for cuddling the hubby and kids, we make time for that, or try to, all day long. :) Hugs and kisses through the day.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
keljonma said:
Where is find the usb cord for the camera? ;)

ETA: You mow the lawn toooooo much, girl! :lol:
Actually working on finding the cord today! and my SD card reader for my USB port....

And, when you're push mowing almost 3 acres, it takes 2-3 days to mow it all when the weather cooperates. Interrupt that with a trailer tear down, building onto the house, and by the time you get it ALL mowed, you have to start all over again with the FIRST part you mowed - so yea, we mow a. lot.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You mow 3 acres with a push mower!?? :th I hear ya on the mowing. Seems just when you think you are finished, mowing and weed eating...its time to start over. THIS is why I love winter.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
justusnak said:
You mow 3 acres with a push mower!?? :th I hear ya on the mowing. Seems just when you think you are finished, mowing and weed eating...its time to start over. THIS is why I love winter.
pretty close to it - it might be 2.5 but, feels bigger when you're the one mowing it LOLOL

When we had a riding mower, the whole thing could be mowed in a day. Our riding mower died during a "daredevil not thinking what I'm doing act" by my oldest son 3 years ago.

And he scared about 20 years off my life.

Hubby was mowing, and DS was riding his bike. Usually no big deal. BUT. on this day, Son says to his siblings, "Watch me get Daddy!"

He then rides his bike full speed towards his dad, who's mowing mind you, and lays his bike - with him still on it! - infront of the mower - so close that E barely had no to stop! and he didn't stop! He ran right over the rear tire of the bike - just barely missing Son's leg - and we both flipped out!

Son lost his bike - forever.

And it killed our riding mower. Not exactly sure what was wrong after that, but we couldn't get it to start again. So, it was back to pushmowing.

But, E was so shook up over how close he came to running over our own son that he didn't mow for several days after that, even with the pushmower. I fried son's behind, too, because he purposely put himself in harms way just to be "funny". I explained how funny it WASN'T, and then showed him a funny with the paddle. He's not done anything like that again, thank goodness!

Latest posts