Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like a great day....WOW, thats a LOT of kiddo's! LOL Memories to treasure for sure!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Earnhardt..... but glad to hear that everything else in your life is going well.

My friend Betty has cochins...... :D That is where I got Polk, Quincy and Lousia as day old chicks ... I'm just saying! ;)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Morning folks.

Haven't had much to post here.

Having some inner struggles with Halloween. It is not a holiday I personally feel should be celebrated as a Christian, but my kids really want to do the whole costumes and trick or treating thing. Last night my DD was nagging me about making a costume for the school party - and I snapped at her saying we don't celebrate Halloween.

I know my distaste over school halloween parties being acceptable has arose from them having to be "politically correct" and call the Christmas Celebration a "Winter Holiday" or "Winter Solstice" party.

I don't know if I should write the school and tell them a we don't celebrate Halloween, or do as some of my JW friends do, and keep my kids home the day of?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, that is a hard one. We have to raise our children as we believe is right. No matter what others think...unless it is harmful to the kids. Personally, I let my kids trick or treat, and participate in the classroom holidays....not because I believe or disbelieve...but to let the kids experience every opportunity in life as possible. Once they get older...they were able to make their own choices.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sorry about your chickens. Make that trip to see Justusnak and get that roo. LOL Yes I am tempting you.

You do what you think is best for your family. Its all that you can do.

Oh, and on a personal note - Thanks for the chat the other day. You have no idea how much that meant to me. You picked a day when I was really questioning my sanity and was borderline crazy. (Well, maybe I had already crossed the border). My contact with the outside world had pretty much vanished and I was feeling very lost. I had stopped visiting here except to read occasionally but not post. I had not looked at my facebook page in ages. I just decided to go check for messages that morning hopeing for a pick me up. Just one message, anything to let me know that someone actually cared that I had pretty much dropped off the face of the earth. And there you were.
Just thought you needed to know that.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Regarding the Hallowe'en celebration...this is just my two cents so please don't take it that I am pushing my beliefs on you.

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. Didn't leave it until I was almost forty years old. My parents didn't keep me home that day, nor did they allow me to participate. Instead, they trained me in their beliefs. I honestly don't remember feeling terribly left out. I felt special, like I was one of the few people who were brave enough to defend my Godly belief system.
I raised my first set of children the same way. And maybe I went a bit further. I truly believe in a thinking child. I wanted to make sure that my kids could defend their beliefs and actions. I taught them what I believed, I rehearsed and role played with them before sending them to school. In the end, none of us are Jehovah's Witnesses - but my girls most definitely are thinkers and can verbally defend their beliefs. They also are not followers. Anything they do, they do because they believe it is the right thing to do.
Although I am no longer of that faith, and Hallowe'en is not so offensive to me, I think my parents went the right route in preparing me to stand up for my beliefs. I know that the politically correct thing is to say that you should allow your children to choose what they believe, but I think that is a farce. Of course we all teach our children what we believe. Either purposefully, or without realizing it.
I wish you well. I hope you update us on what you decide to do.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Guess I've neglected my journal long enough lol.

A week ago yesterday we brought home 3 kittens from auction. They were left in a cage with a sign free to good home, and so we brought them home. Two of them have 6 toes, the other does not. I talked my hubs into letting the little 6 toed calico be a house cat. We haven't had a house cat since my hubs cat, Ty, passed away back in '02. We named her Carol, because we got her from the Carrollton auction - but I figure this Christmas we can tell everyone that her name is Christmas Carol lol. The two boys are barn cats and they are Seafoam and Seaspray, after cats in a book series from my favorite author.

I baked pies and sold them at auction both last and this week. This coming Monday we're hauling our heifer in to the sale. We made the arrangements with another local to haul her for us, and the best part is he's only charging us $20!!

Yesterday at auction, I almost brought home a puppy for DD. She asked us for a lab or a lab mix puppy. E told her if she made the honor roll, he'd let her get a puppy. (remember, we tried getting her a puppy a couple years ago for Christmas from the pound and it had parvo and died.) Yesterday at auction, someone brought in half black lab half collie pups and were giving them away. There was 3 of them, and the one really resembled more lab than collie. While I was looking them over, as in in front of the pen, with the door open, and a woman from a rescue practically rips the cage door out of my hands. I said I am going to take the one on the right and she says, "Actually, I am going to take them all." total witch! Probably going to one of those rescues that will demand you have a fenced in yard and pay $200 or more to adopt.

So I was pretty steamed about that the rest of the day, and this is not the first time the rescue people have been at the auction. I had taken kittens in last spring to give away, and the rescue people were there and followed me to. my. car. They asked me if I had the mother, and I said yes at home. They wanted to know if I had brought in the whole litter, and I said yes and she said, "we'll take them all but we have to have the mother, too, so we can spay her." I said, "like heck you do! The mother belongs to my daughter!" They sure were persistant! and it was the same with the lady yesterday with the pups - she asked the guy who brought them in if he'd brought the whole litter and who owned the parents, etc.

Ernie said eventually they'll be trying to save the chickens and cows and putting them in cages or small holding pens while they wait for their "furever" homes or just the "right" "adoptive" family. Adoptive. It really irks me that they use the word "adopted" for animals. You ADOPT children, but you OBTAIN a pet. You don't rehome a toddler if they poop on your rug, and a dog or cat just isn't in the same category as your baby who's diaper blew out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe people should take on a pet without having the long term follow through, but like I told someone else - if things went so bad financially that it came down to choosing to feed my kids or my dog, the kids come first. Period. Then you get the argument that this is why shelters or rescues do not adopt to people with kids. To which my reply is, "And that is why so many dogs/cats etc are spending their life in shelters or cages in shelters waiting for that "perfect" home because you passed by a good home with kids." I personally believe, too, that if shelters and rescues continue to make it so hard for people to adopt a pet, then we will continue to have the problem of backyard breeders, etc. because the person you just turned away due to having kids or no fenced yard is now going to spend money at a backyard breeder. Therefore, backyard breeders DO have a use, and will always be in business of overbreeding and genetic problems being bred into the dogs. (or cats or any other animal.)

Anyway, enough of that. There's a local ad for Lab puppies for $100. And we get to see the parents. Not sure if they are pure or not, but the picture I saw LOOKED pure. Guess we'll find out. I am hoping to get her a boy, as they are cheaper to neuter than a girl.

Speaking of dogs, our dog Zoe is going to the vet a week from today for her spay. YAY. Not going to have to worry about anymore heat cycles, or her getting out and having another accidental litter of pups. Plus, they are running a special this month for 1/2 off, so it's only going to run me about $70. Plus she's getting her rabies shot at the same time, and that will be another $15. I have to make sure she gets a bath and doesn't eat anything after 7pm the night before. Daddy plans to get her a pork femur as a get well present.

Today worked on getting the run to the re-vamped chicken coop wired. It's almost done, and we have another half day of nice weather tomorrow, so hoping to finish it up while the kiddos are in school.

E went to the dentist today and had 3 teeth pulled. While he was getting that done, I shot off to the feedstore and got the last bag of cow chop we'll need and chicken feed. E didn't think I should buy the chop, as he still had some left from the last bag he planned to save to use as a bribe to get her in the cattle hauler. He asked me what will we do with any left over chop after she's gone since she doesn't usually go through a whole bag in a week. I looked at him and said, "It's corn and oats. The chickens will LOVE it." He was like, "oh yea, I guess they would."

Another local feedstore is closing - the one we sold our chicks at for Chick Days. The owner is having back surgery and feels it will be too hard on her to continue with the feedstore. So I of course revisted the idea of having a feedstore, which we had joked about a couple years ago here in my journal. E has asked me to wait for awhile before I run with it, but it's something I'm still seriously interested in.

I think that's about all the new stuff.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Half off?! If they only take half of it can't she still get pregnant?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh and definately do the feedstore thing! I sooo would if I could! See, and that way I can live vicariously through you and not have all that work. It's PERFECT! :D

Latest posts