Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
thanks, lori and kstaven! things are going pretty well.

Thanks for the t-day wishes, too, FC.

I firmly believe that the oh so smart person who came up with the idea of Nintendo DS and ran with it should be forced to adopt 6 children, and give them 2 DS's to share between them. THEN he should have to ground ONE child from the DS for sneaking it and playing with it w/o permission.

THEN Find out that same said child is staying up until after the 'rents go to bed and getting out of bed, sneaking the DS to his bedroom and saying up all. night. long. to play. And LYING about it.

Then, after this, he'd understand why I as a mom, think he - the programmer/inventor of parental torture devices - would understand why I think his idea should get him tarred and feathered.

:somad

My son is now banned indefinitely from playing the DS - I wanted to sell them but my hubs vetoed that as it would punish the other kids who DIDN'T disobey us. This boy is SO TIRED and his eyes are SO PUFFY and I am making him an extra long list of chores for today - and no napping for him!

The Nintendo DS's have been put up in my room and will not be brought back out - and all my son is going to get for Christmas is clothing. I don't want to NOT give him any gifts on Christmas, so no fun gifts seemed to be a good alternative.

Other than that, today is another doozy day. Peds appt for Squeakers this am and then later today my new appliances are being delivered.

I'll brag for a moment, hope ya'll will forgive me - but have you seen the commercials for the Samsung fridge with freezer on bottom, and between the fridge and freezer compartments there's a drawer in the middle that pulls out? the commercials show a little boy getting an juice box out of that drawer. I wanted that fridge SO BAD but it's like $3k to purchase it - so I was like not going to happen...but then Lowe's had it on SPECIAL for basically HALF off! SO WE GOT IT!!

It's being delivered tonight and I can't wait! I can definitely see stocking that middle drawer with healthy snacks for my kids - like carrot sticks, apple slices, juice boxes, cheese sticks, and other fruits and veggies. So when they tell me they are hungry between meals, they can go choose a snack. :)

We also have a new Samsung washer and dryer being delivered today. No front loading machines here - I like the top load just fine. Energy and water saving so YAY and goodbye 20 year old appliances!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: and DS is on my kids present this year. kill me now.

WOW WOW and more WOW on that fridge. that is so cool. I know the middle drawer. I saw the commercial and thought, what a great idea. SO convenient to grab and not stand with the fridge open while someone inspects what they want.

I know you are thrilled to be getting that fridge! I know I would be.

AND a washer and dryer coming today?

girl I remember long long ago the wish for a well. Things sure have changed for the good! Happy for you.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
girl I remember long long ago the wish for a well. Things sure have changed for the good! Happy for you.
It's hard to believe we've had plumbed water for over a year now! I do NOT miss saving dirty dishwater to flush the toilet!

Yes, new washer and dryer, because the dryer is not drying clothes like it should and honestly, I would hang clothes out but don't want to mess with hanging up a line going into winter and with my big family, well, it's just easier to have a dryer. This old dryer is taking THREE times of being turned on to dry a load of clothes - even when we only put in 1/2 sized loads. E said the heating element is going out.

So the new fridge is my first brand new fridge ever, and the washer and dryer are the first new ones I've had in 15 years. The current appliances we're using came with the trailer we're in so they're about 20 years old (the washer and dryer anyway - not sure on fridge and stove). Our current fridge is FREEZING the foods in the back and the veggies in the crisper drawer. I hate frozen lettuce.

We plan to get a new stove, too, but that's later. We bought what was needed due to appliance failure first. :)

We are not letting Lowe's haul away our old appliances either. We decided to hold on to them and scrap them out ourselves - so it's like we'll get a small rebate on our new appliances if we scrap them LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know. I remember your posts about how you had to handle your water adventures!!!!

yea when my dryer died I had them take the old. About 1 hr later I thought--WHY DID I do that?? I could easily make money on that for scrap. who knows where my head was on that one. When I replaced my old fridge after about 15 yrs the new one came and I put the old one in the garage for sausage sales. It too was freezing things in the reg. compartment. (I wonder why that is?)

yea you have a huge family Aly. A clothesline would have to stretch from Ohio to PA for your to get it all on the line :gig
ya gotta have it for winter and rain times.

What kind of propane prices are you dealing with in your area now? We are about $3.299

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
thanks, lori and kstaven! things are going pretty well.

Thanks for the t-day wishes, too, FC.

I firmly believe that the oh so smart person who came up with the idea of Nintendo DS and ran with it should be forced to adopt 6 children, and give them 2 DS's to share between them. THEN he should have to ground ONE child from the DS for sneaking it and playing with it w/o permission.

THEN Find out that same said child is staying up until after the 'rents go to bed and getting out of bed, sneaking the DS to his bedroom and saying up all. night. long. to play. And LYING about it.

Then, after this, he'd understand why I as a mom, think he - the programmer/inventor of parental torture devices - would understand why I think his idea should get him tarred and feathered. Don't want to start a battle but you do understand how it could happen, his mother has this Internet addiction? I gave up drinking, caffine and even smoking [tough one for me] but when my Internet was lost I would walk 2 miles to the library to get my fix. For this old man I find that electronic addictions are much harder to beat than chemical addictions, how about you?~gd

:somad

My son is now banned indefinitely from playing the DS - I wanted to sell them but my hubs vetoed that as it would punish the other kids who DIDN'T disobey us. This boy is SO TIRED and his eyes are SO PUFFY and I am making him an extra long list of chores for today - and no napping for him!

The Nintendo DS's have been put up in my room and will not be brought back out - and all my son is going to get for Christmas is clothing. I don't want to NOT give him any gifts on Christmas, so no fun gifts seemed to be a good alternative.

Other than that, today is another doozy day. Peds appt for Squeakers this am and then later today my new appliances are being delivered.

I'll brag for a moment, hope ya'll will forgive me - but have you seen the commercials for the Samsung fridge with freezer on bottom, and between the fridge and freezer compartments there's a drawer in the middle that pulls out? the commercials show a little boy getting an juice box out of that drawer. I wanted that fridge SO BAD but it's like $3k to purchase it - so I was like not going to happen...but then Lowe's had it on SPECIAL for basically HALF off! SO WE GOT IT!!

It's being delivered tonight and I can't wait! I can definitely see stocking that middle drawer with healthy snacks for my kids - like carrot sticks, apple slices, juice boxes, cheese sticks, and other fruits and veggies. So when they tell me they are hungry between meals, they can go choose a snack. :)

We also have a new Samsung washer and dryer being delivered today. No front loading machines here - I like the top load just fine. Energy and water saving so YAY and goodbye 20 year old appliances!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, so excited for you to get that Fridge. I am sooo jealous!! Not really, but I DO wish one day to have a nice fridge...mine is OK, but it leaks inside..and I am constantly haveing to wipe up the shelves. Oh well, it cools, all I really need I guess, LOL
I am so excited for you all to have been blessed. You deserve it!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Nice! I refuse to buy the kids a DS. We had a wii and sold it. I refused to pay $50 per game for the thing.

Congrats on the appliances! We have a side by side fridge that came with the house and I hate it! The next one we get is going to be a top/bottom one. I want a new washer/dryer combo but I can't see buying one when the ones we have work just fine so I figure I'll get a new one in about 10 yrs :p

When you have that many people to wash for you are gonna burn through a washer/dryer so much faster than my little family of 4....I still can't imagine you guys hauling water all those years...amazing!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Wow, so excited for you to get that Fridge. I am sooo jealous!! Not really, but I DO wish one day to have a nice fridge...mine is OK, but it leaks inside..and I am constantly haveing to wipe up the shelves. Oh well, it cools, all I really need I guess, LOL
I am so excited for you all to have been blessed. You deserve it!!
Just ----one of my fridges in the garage does that every now and then. I found out it was icing in the freezer dept. So what I did was take everything out, leave off the whole day (putting stuff in a cooler when my food level was low) and defrosed it big time. Somehow ice built up in there and it gives that leaky into the fridge part. I had water also. So after I took a towel and wiped every nook, inch, crack, cranny of the freezer and started it all up again. And it stayed leak free for a long time, til one day, there it was again....so I did the same. Now it is a ritual with that stupid fridge.

maybe that will help??

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so funny reading about your son staying up all night. Mine didn't do that but we definitely had "gaming issues" with the boys this weekend. Now I know I am not alone in this.
So you seriously are not going to give your son anything but clothing for Christmas? Wow. My hat is off to you. So hard to follow through on that one. I have a child that deserves nothing but coal...but then every day of his life he deserves nothing but coal so I have difficulty figuring out what to do with him. Wish me luck!