Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok, not really any words from the barnyard today, but I've got a full day.

Dentist.
Canning tomato sauce.
Organizing more photos.
DD has cross country training today. sigh. and it's picture day. Triple sigh.
I also need to work on goat fencing (oh yea, for those who don't know...I have a milk goat and 2 doelings)

More later.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I've been researching local churches today, and I found one that we are going to visit so we can "try them on for size". One of the things that appealled to me right away is the Pastor and his wife have a large family!!

I'm so excited and can't wait for Sunday!!
We have a church here that we keep threatening to inflict ourselves upon :D DH likes the sign out front - they always have some clever saying up!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well you must tell us the clever saying!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They change every week, and my memory is mush, so I won't be able to properly quote a single one, but they are neat. One side is always biblical in nature, and the other side is funny, or topical (when we were bone dry around here, it said something like "Is your soul in a drought, come fill it up here" or something like that).

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I saw a clever church sign (via the net) the other day. It said "Church Shopping? We're open on Sundays". I thought cute.

This morning woke up to a Mille Fleur Cochin chick hatching. Nothing from the Choc Orp eggs yet and I have a mile long list of people who want the chicks from those.
The Mille Fleur cochins I've not advertised yet. I'll raise them out until so big (I have 3 almost 1 month old chicks right now) and then offer them for sale, after I see what I have. I need to keep a cockerel, since I only have the one.

I also need to hatch and raise out some chocolate orps to increase my own flock. Eggs are slow coming though. Frustrating me.

I'm finally setting eggs from my BLRW flock, and after several years of trying to achieve it, my BLRW are 100% Foley's bloodline. I have 4 adults (1 roo 3 hens) and 4 jueveniles (that I think are 1 cockerel and 3 pullets, but it's hard to tell yet). I've not advertised these, either, and so far fertility is 100%. Mostly just hatching out for myself, will raise out the chicks, and sell my "culls" which aren't really culls, just won't be my choices to keep in my breeding program. My mom has requested a dozen BLRW chicks, so I told her after I hatch out enough and make my choices, she can have first choice from culls.

I most likely will take what I don't keep to the Mt. Hope exotic spring sale. BLRW pullets were bringing $45+ a head at the last Spring sale. Mille Fleur Cochins brought anywhere from $35-$50 each. There's a sale coming up in September, and another in November. Don't think I'll have any chicks old enough for either of those sales (I'd rather sell them when I can tell genders). I have a white peahen and 2 potbelly pigs I plan to haul up in September.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A church near me had a sign that read "Just because you have pain doesn't mean you have to be one." I kinda like that.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
so lucky said:
A church near me had a sign that read "Just because you have pain doesn't mean you have to be one." I kinda like that.
:lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
so today it's all baking baking baking and making fry pies.

Both for the sale on Monday AND for outside orders. yay me!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wish I baked well enough to sell/take orders for stuff. Everything I make is varying degrees of failure :p At least I've convinced my guys that it looks 'normal' and they eat it :lol:

Latest posts