Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
4-H alumni and 4-H leader for years. I am not sure exactly how things in your county will work but I have a lot of experience over here.

Our kids were responsible for getting their own birds. The main thing was they had to have them by a certain date in order to show them at the fair.

Chicken.... yes you! Go ahead and click the link. These are kind of cute. Can you say Salmon Faverolle X guinea? :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We had a day today, that's for sure.

Decided to enroll the kids in online school at home, so we had chose the TRECA Digital Academy for their schooling. Today was the all day long orientation, and that went well. Our instructor for orientation loved my kids, especially DD, and as we were leaving she commented to me that my children are very bright. :D Can you see me beaming?! I was so happy.

The kids were super excited, too. We left with their computers and ipods, and tonight we have something to do on their computers to get their classes going within the next 48 hours.

The best part is, they only have 4 subjects a day! whoot! I can still use the books and things I have here for the kids as well for extra things they might want to do.

Their attendance is logged by how many assignments they turn in a week. They have to turn in 5 assignments per subject per week, so that's 20 assignments a week. They don't have to do all 4 subjects each day, tho. If they want to do all their Math on Monday and get it out of the way for the week, they can do that. They will get full attendance for that week in Math. AND if they are doing well and want to work ahead, they can do that, too.

I also tried to get info on their 4H stuff today. I think my kids misunderstood their instructor, I think she's just ordering their project books for them but I'm responsible for ordering in their birds.

IF my muscovies would hurry up and make a nest, we'd have no worries in the duck department for DD. I think DS chose a breed of chicken that we do not have, so I'll have to order that in for him I guess.

Only got 2 eggies today, and they're going in the incubator! lol

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm excited for all of you. Somedays I miss that part of my life, but we are on to new experiences with our children now that they are grown. Sounds like you have some awesome kids. Have fun with the new school routine.

You have muscovies - can I ask you a question? We got our trio last May so we're still learning about them. When can we expect them to start laying again?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Too bad, you can't borrow my Susie and her chicks ;) But your kids probably prefer to have their own.
You are right to be beaming!!! I'll join you in the beaming; about you being a great mom and having bright children! It is a pleasure to know you :clap

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
prairiegirl said:
You have muscovies - can I ask you a question? We got our trio last May so we're still learning about them. When can we expect them to start laying again?
I honestly have no clue! We just got our pair in I think July of last year. My hen didn't lay any eggs that we ever found. I'm hoping she lays and goes broody this spring.

On the other hand, my rouen duck just laid her first egg of the season today! whoot! (it's going in the 'bator!)

AND I collected 2 Welsummer eggs, a BBS Orp egg, 3 bantam eggs (not sure who laid them yet), and 1 unknown large fowl egg. They are ALL going in the 'bator....even mutt chickies sell well at the auction! LOL

I haven't checked the Speckled Sussex pen for eggs yet, or the duck pen that has my Blue Swedes....but I'm egg-cited that the strike seems to be over and the eggs are coming! whoot!!

I even caught a guinea in the nest box the other day, but she didn't leave an egg behind...I think she was just trying it out...but a funny thing since then...the hens I do have laying have all quit using the box the guinea sat in! :hu Kinda weird. LOL

We had a great day here. I'm super excited about...well just everything and life in general and whoot if I'm not just fully ready for 2010!!

:celebrate :weee :ya

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Ok, so a week or so ago, I called in my first order for the year into Meyer Hatchery....for an April 4th pick up.

I ordered the following:
Standards
4 Black Sumatra Pullets
4 Blue Cochin Pullets
3 Welsummer Pullets
2 Welsummer cockerels

Bantams
5 Quail Antwerp d'Anvers

So, I'm itching for April to get here...but I'm impatient...I need to hatch something to help me pass the time while I'm waiting....so I picked up some duck eggs from Becca, fired up the 'bator last night, and set eggs this morning. WHOOT! I put in 7 ducks eggs and 5 chicken eggs from Becca....

but wait! I collected two eggs from my own coop yesterday...so I added those....

and then today Becca said she had 5 more duck eggs....so I picked those up...and while I was at her house, we called in an order to Ideal....

so, arriving the week of April 14 from Ideal I have coming....

Bantams
5 Quail Antwerp d'Anvers (different bloodlines!)
10 Black Sumatra

Standards
2 Black Sumatra pullets
1 Black Sumatra Cockerels
2 Gold Laced Cochin Cockerels
3 Gold Laced Cochin Pullets
2 Black Cochin Pullets

waterfowl
3 Magpie Ducks
1 Magpie Drake
1 Pilgrim Gosling Goose
1 Pilgrim Gosling Gander (WHOOT! a pair of Pilgrim Geese! whoot!)

So, I got home with the eggs and this evening, in the 'bator they went...then I checked my own pens and had 4 bantam and 3 large fowl eggs from my own chickens, plus one rouen duck egg! so, in the 'bator they went! whoot!!

AND!!

Can you believe that this gets better?!

On Saturday I'm going to be picking up a Bourbon Red Tom turkey for my girls AND....

yep, it's getting BETTER!!

A PAIR OF EMBDEN GEESE!!

It's all ofg's fault! she kept talking about OD and Penny, made me miss my Embdens something awful!!

So whoot!!

More poultry for me more poultry for me....

It's a sickness, I tell ya.

And there's no known cure that I can tell......except.....

TO GET MORE POULTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ya :weee :celebrate :gig

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! 2010 sure has been good for you. Spring is so very exciting on a farm. You sure are going to be busy.:)

The only thing we've decided on is more Black Astrolorps (I know I spelled that wrong). I'm sure my DH will come up with much more.

When we got our muscovies we were told they lay for a much shorter period than chickens and other ducks. Ours layed from June until the end of Sept. last year, but it was their first year here. We did have one hen that hatched 7 eggs. We have them all and we need to get rid of a few. They are free range and they sure leave behind a mess.