Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, and thank you Kel for updating for me. :)

I went to visit my G-ma today - and she wasn't at the hospital. They had discharged her and she was back at the nursing home. So I went there and visited her.

Everyone has been telling me she's non-responsive, and that I should be prepared for her to not know who I am.

They were wrong.

She KNEW me. I know she did. I saw it in the expression of her eyes. When I first walked into her room, she was just staring at the ceiling. When I started to talk to her, she looked right into my eyes - and I knew right then that she knew who I was.

I told her about the baby girl coming in September. SHE KNEW what I was saying, I know she did, because she reacted to the news of a baby coming. It's hard to explain the reaction, but trust me when I say it was there.

Her room was COLD. Like they have the AC set to super arctic 10000 degrees below zero. She had a light quilt, and kept moving her hands under it like she was trying to move it up. So I pulled the quilt up and tucked her in.

Then I combed her hair back, kissed her forehead, told her I loved her, and promised to try to stop back in when I have my Dr. appointment on Wednesday.

The nurse's aid who was emptying G-ma's catheter seemed happy to have someone come and visit her. I don't think many of her children are taking the time to do so. I plan to try to talk them into spending more time visiting G-Ma instead of emailing eachother (which is how I got the news) what plans they think should be made for her funeral.

In Farm News (which I'm growing terribly bored with) I had 2 Speckled Sussex hatch today and more pipped. Now I need those Blue Ameracauna to join them, since I have a buyer for those!

I also have a nice bruise on my right shoulder, after having a ladder fall on me yesterday. E was working on the roof of the girls room, and needed help getting the ladder moved where he could get down. I didn't have it balanced right, and it fell down right over my head, so I was in the middle of the rungs and the right side of the ladder hit my right shoulder.

I'm fine, but it hurt.

Oh, and incase you didn't guess it - my computer is fixed!

S

sunsaver

It's sad that her own children aren't coming to visit. You're a saint for taking the time to talk with her.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I had 3 more Speckled Sussex hatch over night, and 2 more are pipped. And I finally have 2 Ameracaunas pipped.

I plan to sell the Ameracaunas, but haven't decided on the Speckled Sussex.... I mean, my first flock were SS and I loved them and they are great layers - uh, if I beat the rats to the eggs.....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting some Ameracaunas pipped...another farm sale in the making there. :D

So you'll be keeping the BLRW, Speckled Sussex and Sumatras? I would think that those could be some good breeders for farm income.

It is good to have you back online. ;)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I would love to have some breeders here but I would have to build a totally enclosed pen and run cause hubby does NOT want roosters....ever. So I end up with broody hens that have to sit on duck eggs :p

Glad to hear that your grandma was responsive to you, that means a lot. I stopped visiting hubby's nanny cause it just ended up confusing her more when I came with him and the kids agitated her too much, you could tell. It was like it hurt her brain to try to figure out who I was. My husband is pretty much the only person that goes to visit her, sad.

Can they turn the ac up so she's not so cold all the time? When my granny was in the nursing home recovering from her knee replacement they had issues with it being too cold but the thermostat was in the room next door and every time my papa would go turn it up the guy in the room would go turn it down again. :rolleyes:

:hugs

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Boy, was today a looong day.

Took my Amish friend out by the lake to sell her baked goods. I also took some stuff to sell - mostly yard sale items.

She sold over half her baked goods, and I sold a few things, too.

I also found a very nice changing table at a yardsale today for a very low price! It almost looks like new, but it's missing the pad to lay the baby on. No biggie, I'll make one.

I've never had a changing table for any of my babies before, so I'm looking forward to putting some pretty baskets on the bottom to shelves to hold things like diapers, wipes, lotion, blankets, small toys, etc.

When I left this morning, there were 5 chicks in the incubator, all Sussex. Now there are 12 chicks, 3 of which are Ameracauna! Mom wants to buy all of the Ameracauna, and she said she may also want to buy some of the Sussex. I told her I would think on that, but I probably will let her buy a couple.

I'm ready for bed already, and it's not even quite 7:30 pm. :th

E is at our Amish friends house picking up the last 2 pieces of tin we need for the roof of the girls' room.

We have company coming down from out of town tomorrow morning, so I am sure tomorrow will be another full day.

And, totally new pregnancy experience - Baby Girl LOVES being up in my ribs. I do not remember any of my other children doing that, but I'm not liking it!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there, but most importantly, to my wonderful Hubby! The best dad to five rambunctious-we-don't-think-we-need-to-always-listen-to-you kids! :lol:

I love my hubby!! (even when he's totally being a man about things) :lol: :p