Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Life just keeps getting better and better for us!! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I didn't go to the Mt. Hope swap this weekend - and no, h*ll didn't freeze over :lol:

1 - I wouldn't have anything to sell
2 - too cold of a day to sit out, and I would have had to take Squeakers with me.

BUT

apparantly my presence is not required in order for me to purchase chickens :lol:

Becca called and said she found a beautiful pair of Sumatras! Would I want them? She told me price, and I asked a ton of questions (proven broody? multiple spurs on roo? age?) After my inquiries were satisified, Becca and friend R boxed up the pair and they are as I type this on their way home to me! YAY! I can't wait to see them!!

Two days ago, my friend K that lives not to far from us and his SO gave me a pair of Mille Fleurs, and 2 pairs of Sumatras (1 black and 1 blue). They were my baby gifts from him! LOL

Plus we have JJ. I have no clue what I'm going to name the other two black roos I'll now have - maybe Carbon and Carbon Copy??

I now have a small flock of 11 mille fleurs - 5 hens, 6 roos, but I will be getting another pullet from a friend I think, for an even 6 pairs.

In our bad news today, our Earnhardt, blue heeler, murdered 3 chickens that slipped into his kennel today. A blue Maran pullet, a mottled cochin hen (the best one of course!), and Cackle, DD's black cochin bantam.

Cackle is still hanging in there, but we had to play Chicken ER. He has one wing completely gone, and the other wing is only half there. My chickens I can deal with, as the mottled cochin is replaceable for me (I know the breeder) and the blue maran wasn't special at all (just a future layer) but when you hurt my DD's pet - that was super tame, that's not replaceable, that was her last chicken, that was given to her as a gift from a friend - Yea, I kind of want to shoot my own dog.

E is going to work on moving him away from the chickens. But, now he's got the taste of blood, which means I now become the dumb owner of a chicken killing dog - except he was and still IS in a kennel. :/

It feels like a no win here. We love Earnhardt, and he's been with us since he was 6 weeks old. He's almost 11 now. And he wasn't eating them, just killing them. So what do you do when you have a chicken killing dog who was here before you even got your first chickens?

I mean, this is the dog that NORMALLY lets the chickens eat out of his dish with him! I am guessing the difference was being in an enclosed pen, and the chickens panicked with not being able to get out, and thus excited the dog into kill mode.

Ugh, it sucks.

So of course, we told DD we would try to find her a new Cochin Roo. Don't know how or when, but we'll see about it.

We (as in E and I) are planning to go to Ohio Nationals this year - or OK, I'm planning on it, have run the idea by E, and have been in contact with Foley's Waterfowl to see if there are any available started BLRW pairs left :hide E just hasn't said no...lol So I'm thinking of maybe getting a sitter for the younger 3 boys, and taking oldest DD and oldest DS with, as of course Squeakers. I think the kids would enjoy it!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
So of course, we told DD we would try to find her a new Cochin Roo. Don't know how or when, but we'll see about it.
So sorry about the chickens...now you listen girly...I have 5....yes 5 Cochin roos, that needs homes...and...ONE is a FRIZZLE!!!! See?? Now you have ANOTHER reason to come here...cochin roo....piggies...and of course..to see me! LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
justusnak said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
So sorry about the chickens...now you listen girly...I have 5....yes 5 Cochin roos, that needs homes...and...ONE is a FRIZZLE!!!! See?? Now you have ANOTHER reason to come here...cochin roo....piggies...and of course..to see me! LOL
LOL you're killing me!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
99_bantamfrizzlebiggun.jpg

I dont want to "kill" you....but here he is! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If ya keep him penned up or leashed when you take him out..truly it isn't the dogs fault on this one. The stupid chickens got into the pen area.

I actually wouldn't be too hard on the dog this time. Anyoway I am not a chicken fan in general HAHA so the dog wins on this one for me lol

sorry for the loss tho..no one likes to lose anything! :)

spelling edit...I sure can't type this morning lol

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yea, I'm not blaming the dog.

The kennel has been used as a covered run for other chickens, but now we're planning to move the kennel out of there, and move the wire from the back chicken pen up to close off the existing chicken pen, since the kennel makes up 1 wall of the chicken pen. I just do not want to chain him out again. He's happier in the kennel and he hates being in doors.

just, I'm totally in trouble here! Showed DD that pic, and she's Aww he's so beautiful! (we'll see, no promises!)

We're heading to church today!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Yea, I'm not blaming the dog.

The kennel has been used as a covered run for other chickens, but now we're planning to move the kennel out of there, and move the wire from the back chicken pen up to close off the existing chicken pen, since the kennel makes up 1 wall of the chicken pen. I just do not want to chain him out again. He's happier in the kennel and he hates being in doors.

just, I'm totally in trouble here! Showed DD that pic, and she's Aww he's so beautiful! (we'll see, no promises!)

We're heading to church today!!
He is a good boy too. I call him Biggun. When he crows...its tiny and cute...sounds like he is saying... I can crow too LOL

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My little rat terrier used to chase chickens around and catch them. We broke her by sending her out with a. Muzzle when a game hen had chicks. She hasn't done it since.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We had a wonderful fall day!

Went to church this morning and Squeakers was a huge hit. It was her first Sunday in Church :)

Then, friend R and her kids came to our house and we had an impromptu pizza party. Then, we packed up all 13 kids, ages ranged from 4 weeks (Squeakers) to 18, and we went to the Apple Stirring festival. That was a blast! And believe it or not, not one single meltdown out of the kids! Got some cute pics, and the kids had fun hanging out with friend R's kids.

It was the perfect weather for fall!