Question about ewe..FINALLY TWINS!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our ewe is overdue, she was in with the ram and bred and should have lambed a few weeks ago, should I be concerned or just let her do her thing? This is her 5th pregnancy and she delivers with no complications, normally during the night and is a great mom. Yesterday she was running around which was highly unusual in her state (and quite funny to watch with her big ol' belly) but I realized she was running because she has slimy stuff hanging out, so I half expected she would deliver last night but there was nothing this morning. She has been bagged up with milk for at least week and a half, closer to two. I am starting to get concerned, should I call a vet? Opinions please :D Oh, and as far as I can tell the baby/babies (looks like twins) are alive and kicking.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Was she only in with the ram to be bred and then removed? Or was she in with the ram for a few weeks/months? If it's the latter, she's probably due later than expected. I wouldn't do anything. Sounds like she's doing fine and will lamb when she's ready. :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She did not eat her breakfast with much enthusiasm so I am hoping that's a good sign. She is usually so easy to tell, this has been a different experience, I hope all is well.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
She did not eat her breakfast with much enthusiasm so I am hoping that's a good sign. She is usually so easy to tell, this has been a different experience, I hope all is well.
Sounds like she could be close, and the mucous you saw earlier could have been a mucous plug. If she doesn't lamb and continues to refuse food, she may have pregnancy toxemia. Sounds like she settled a cycle after you thought though, so the timing might be perfect for her. :)

Oh, and one more very important thing....make sure you show us lamb pics!!!! :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry I did not see your new post, I was just coming back for an update. This will be her third week with a full udders and no babies yet. I would not be so concerned if I had not seen the mucous discharge 3 days ago. I wonder if I should just call the vet or not worry about her, and let her go a little longer and see...She is eating normal now and she is frisky (which is not like her this prego) Is she running around trying to induce the labor?? :fl My hubby is out of town and this is usually his job around here :he

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Sorry I did not see your new post, I was just coming back for an update. This will be her third week with a full udders and no babies yet. I would not be so concerned if I had not seen the mucous discharge 3 days ago. I wonder if I should just call the vet or not worry about her, and let her go a little longer and see...She is eating normal now and she is frisky (which is not like her this prego) Is she running around trying to induce the labor?? :fl My hubby is out of town and this is usually his job around here :he
She sounds like she's doing fine. :) It's your call, but I wouldn't call a vet. She'll lamb when she's ready. If she were in distress you'd know it!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our vet is around 250.00 for a visit and check so I am trying to hold off. Her eyes are clear, no runny nose, plenty of salt free choice and I gave her a dose of vitamins. I am not sure what else to do for her but wait...

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Our vet is around 250.00 for a visit and check so I am trying to hold off. Her eyes are clear, no runny nose, plenty of salt free choice and I gave her a dose of vitamins. I am not sure what else to do for her but wait...
This past Feb I had a ewe who was preggo, and I had a due date because ram owner saw her bred. Well, a day or two before that date she prolapsed. The vet came out, and I asked him about inducing her because I knew her due date. He said no, and I was a little irked because I was really worried about the lambs because of the prolapse. Days came and went and still no lambs. She didn't settle on the date she was first bred. She lambed on a date consistent with her getting bred a heat cycle later. If I had insisted he induce her, I would have lost the lambs. That taught me a HUGE lesson. Unless you hand breed and are absolutely positively without a doubt sure there is only 1 possible date she could have been bred, don't worry about it and the babies will come when they're ready. :D I know it's hard to wait, but she's telling you she's fine (by her actions). Don't waste the money on a vet until she tells you something is wrong.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know, I am just so darn worried about those babies, they mean a lot to me :D She was put in with our ram and he went right at her, she may have already been into her cycle by then so if that is the case she would be another week or so. My concern is that she never bags up this soon, usually a week before and not a moment sooner.
Thanks for the encouragement, I am grateful :hugs