Question about hunting

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I grew up with a hunter father. I went out with him many times but was not all that interested. I did not eat what he killed. Mostly quail, pheasant, dove and once every several years he went deer hunting but gave away all the meat.
We did do a lot of fishing and fish eating.

I would really like to explore hunting. I think it is a good skill to know. Any ideas where or how to start? I would assume the local fish and game web site would have some info...but you all are pros and I know I will get the best advice from you :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, I know that its different in the states than in Canada, I can share what it's like here.
My son is taking the firearms acquisition and Hunter safety training course this weekend. It will be /Friday night, all day sat and sun. If he passes, he will be able to buy a gun, and hunt. He will obtain an outdoors card which allows you small games( rabbit, grouse etc). You buy different permits depending on what you want to do. If you fish, you get a card that includes small game and fishing. Then you buy licenses as needed for bear, deer (buck only), moose (calf only) I think it is the same for ducks and geese too. For deer does, and for adult moose (as well as elk etc) you need to enter a draw to get a tag. A tag is only good for one harvest. One deer=one tag. It is not for the whole season. This helps regulate the population of said animal.

I'm sure an American will come along and fill in what it's like there. Just a side note. Hubby has been hunting for over 20 years. (and me 15)We have taken many grouse and hare(rabbit) (gun). Hubs has only taken several deer, one moose (bow)and two bear(rifle).

Hunting is not a cheap sport to get into, but it is worth it. You gotta buy permits, ammo, guns rifles, bows whatever, find a place to hunt, and expect to come home with nothing, cuz often times that is exactly what happens.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, definately check with your local wildlife department. MDWPF (Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks) holds hunter education courses, which you must take before you can get a license to hunt in MS. You can usually take this course multiple times if you need reinforcement. They teach gun safety, hunting safety, hunting etiquette, field dressing, tracking, getting lost & found again (funny but not at the same time).

Find a wild game processor near you or a taxidermist. Make friends with & learn tips for your area from local hunters. You should be able to hunt on public lands reserved for that use without having to pay rent or club fees.

While you are out in the woods, you come across neat edibles. Keep your eyes open for nuts, berries, dense green grassy areas & fungi. They will usually attract game as well as being an additional food source.

Don't wear perfume, smell-good deoderant or wash your hair with fruity shampoo. Use an unscented soap with baking soda. Hang the clothes you want to use to hunt in outside to help rid the human scent. You probably already know this, but BE STILL & quiet while you are heading to your location & while you are there :) I told my daughter she couldn't go hunting with us until she could sit still & be quiet for at least 30 minutes straight.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Depends on the kind of hunting on whether you need to be still. I prefer the walking kind of hunting--grouse, rabbit, etc. I'm not the best at sitting still. Neither is my son.

Also,we don't de-scent here. Not that we use heavily perfumed stuff anyways, but we always make sure we are upwind of whatever we are hunting. DH used to go to all the trouble of descenting everything, packing his hunting clothes in cedar and pine branches etc, but now--he doesn't. It hasn't made a difference.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Game around here is so uptight we normally have to de-scent. While yes, they aren't afraid and will come right up in our yard, when we go to "their" areas, they're a lot more wary and will bolt if they smell a humanish scent. We don't go overboard, but we do take precautions. The homemade laundry soap actually seems perfect, as its unscented. Oh, and if you use a scent lure, DON'T put it on your shoes or clothes, no matter what anyone says. If you happen to fall asleep with doe-in-heat urine on your shoes, you might wake to find an angry buck pawing your shoes. Ask my dad :lol:

Never hunted grouse before, and dad always trapped rabbits, so I'm more used to the "find a comfy tree & sit til sunset" kind of hunting. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace---do you even have a hunting rifle and all that mess? Do you have oranges etc. There is alot to have........but like dacjohns said, find ANYONE to go hunting with. That way you will know if it is right for you.

Hunting sounds great until you do it and might find out it is not up your alley anymore.

Find someone and go with them. Then you will know if it has taken hold and you want to do it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great input. I have a desire to explore hunting but no I do not have any of the essentials. I know it is something that people are generally taught by their father/parents/family....I am just wondering how and where someone begins. I am not about to run out and buy a rifle!

We do however have fishing gear and we enjoy that so that will be our first step learning how to harvest our own food from nature. We have fished on and off for years but never very often or consistently. So I think that is my short term goal....find some good local fishing spots and start going a couple times a month.

I would like to branch out to some bird hunting eventually...but until I make some connections and find someone to show me the ropes, it is not happening soon.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
check in the yellow pages and at the counter of sporting goods stores and on their bulletin boards...maybe you could find a hunt group or something. they are out there..LOL

I love fishing. I use it more to relax and throw alot of fish back....cause we catch tons and eat only so many.....but I enjoy it for relaxation!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, how about looking into trapping? You can actually do this with little to no supplies, if you have somewhere you can place traps to come back to on a regular basis. I would suggest going with the live traps. You have to dispatch the critter, but you won't be catching neighborhood kids & you can let the neighborhood cats go. They are not that expensive.