Question for St. Bernard owners....Baby pix of my new..uh..Newfie?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Two out of my three weren't droolers.

They are very laid back and tend to get their feelers hurt when you raise your voice. They are such big babies. :p

(They make great bean bag chairs for kids.)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
big dog lover here also

just get pup and make it into the dog you want
that combo sounds like a great outside dog

bernies are good temperment I think if they are brought up correctly, like any muttley

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I was bitten by a st. bernard when I was a kid, not a bad bite - bit me on the butt - I was visiting a friend.

OWIE

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was bitten only 1 time by a collie--got me on the inner thigh OWIE
the neighbors dog--way back when I was like 5-6

first dog I got was a collie and then a second ---oh but that hair :barnie

Lassie is #1 in my book LOL

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One word: Cujo. No, just kidding. I've known several SBs in my time and they were ALL wondrous, friendly good family dogs. Drawbacks are short life spans and GROOMING but if you're ready for that they are amazing dogs. Possibly not the most intelligent dogs but with the lab and retriever in there you may luck out in the smarts department.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, I finally called about the SB pups....these folks have 11!!!!!!

Both parents are on the premises and both have great temperaments and are good with kids and other animals.

I am going to go check them out this week but they won't be ready to go until the end of Oct. I want a male and will probably name him Duke....as in, a duke's mixture.

My mom always calls mutts a duke's mixture...not sure where that expression originates.

I've explained to her that the pup would have to come indoors for socialization and training sessions...she has agreed that this will be necessary.

They said these pups seem to be black with white markings right now but seem to be getting some brown in their coats. Does that sound right?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Who says parents have great temperaments? And by who's standard?

What most people think is a "good" dog, I think is a POS I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot rabies pole.

I've been bitten by many, many dogs that their owners believe are perfect angels.

I'm EXTREMELY selective in what I pick out for a dog. Then again... I train service dogs. We test them in worst-case environments.

What would the dog do if hit by a shopping cart? Or if it is chilling out lying down and someone steps on its tail?

These are what I consider in a dog's temperament. Is the dog SOUND, both physically and mentally? Is the dog stable, clear-headed and confident? How does the dog react to strangers? Friendly strangers? Threatening strangers? Dogs? Stray dogs? Menacing dogs? Livestock?

All are important. What you need for a dog's temperament is different for every environment. You may not need a dog that is OK on shiny floors. But you might need a dog that doesn't harass or kill livestock.

One person's definition of "good temperament" is world's apart from another. And heck - most people don't even know what "temperament" means!

Just be careful. Meet the parents long before you look at adorable fuzzy puppies. People make BAD, bad decisions when confronted with puppy cuteness.

And good luck! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks! :) I am virtually unphased by puppy cuteness! :D ALL puppies are cute and adorable.

I've only owned 3 dogs in my life and I still possess two of these. The other was the best dog in the whole wide world and had to be put down for gastro cancer.

I'm pretty darn cautious when acquiring an animal or breed of animal. Heck, I researched bees for three years before getting any....I think I looked into sheep for a couple of years before acquiring them also.

My dogs don't have to be bomb proof but I do expect intelligence, obedience and gentleness. The last pup I picked out, I studied a book on how to pick a pup from a litter and I think I did rather well. He has been an amazingly good dog and, despite being a little hyper, was very easily trained, eager to please and extremely gentle.

Don't worry....I'll have no problems passing on the pups if I don't like what I see.

I know this sounds a little kooky, but I pray about my animal choices and really listen for that small still voice when meeting them for the first time.

I've passed on many, many offers of dogs, cats, goats, horses, cows, chickens, etc.