Question for St. Bernard owners....Baby pix of my new..uh..Newfie?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
tortoise.........all I gotta say is OWWW!!! :ep

HOLY SH!T THAT LOOKS PAINFUL!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have seen those doggy strollers...and laughed my butt off that people actually BUY them! Unreal! I have to say that I have never actually seen anyone pushing one though...I'm sure I would break out laughing on the spot. ( I really hope no one on here has one of those....unless it is for thier kids to play with the dog with:>) ) :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Tortoise, I was thinking along the lines of a working dog when I found this ad about the SB in the paper. Now, wouldn't a nice big SB be great for pulling a sled or cart? Carrying a pack? One never knows when one might need that kind of power and endurance.

Not to mention, I think the bears will think twice when scoping out the place.
Bear: "...hmmmmm, lets see...I see one smaller, silent and very quick dog and one very large dog...bigger than me??!!!! Nope...I think the neighbor's place is gonna be an easier hit.... :D"

The guy I bought my sheep from had 25 lambs killed in just a couple of nights by bears. I haven't heard the final count but he is getting out of the sheep business for this reason. This county is crawling with black bears! Not to mention the coyotes are singing mighty close.

Always good to have two dogs instead of one.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a 91+ growing lap labrador. I can not believe that at adult weight he will be more/as much as a SB!

I have actually been attacked by 3 labradors, if they don't start right, something goes weird in their brains. Although at work I'm constantly getting bitten by small little dogs. I hate those things, I really want to just throw them across the room sometimes. That sounds horrible, but there's only so much yapping and biting I can take.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MsPony said:
I have a 91+ growing lap labrador. I can not believe that at adult weight he will be more/as much as a SB!

I have actually been attacked by 3 labradors, if they don't start right, something goes weird in their brains. Although at work I'm constantly getting bitten by small little dogs. I hate those things, I really want to just throw them across the room sometimes. That sounds horrible, but there's only so much yapping and biting I can take.
Second on the small ankle biters! :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Believe it or not, Tortoise, I was thinking along the lines of a working dog when I found this ad about the SB in the paper. Now, wouldn't a nice big SB be great for pulling a sled or cart? Carrying a pack? One never knows when one might need that kind of power and endurance.

Not to mention, I think the bears will think twice when scoping out the place.
Bear: "...hmmmmm, lets see...I see one smaller, silent and very quick dog and one very large dog...bigger than me??!!!! Nope...I think the neighbor's place is gonna be an easier hit.... :D"

The guy I bought my sheep from had 25 lambs killed in just a couple of nights by bears. I haven't heard the final count but he is getting out of the sheep business for this reason. This county is crawling with black bears! Not to mention the coyotes are singing mighty close.

Always good to have two dogs instead of one.
My old St. used to pull my daughter and friends around in a little red wagon. I just used an old (large) horse halter and put it on her upside down. The halter fit perfectly around her body and had some nice rings to attach ropes to. She was an ox and could have easily pulled anything.

There have been many recent cases around here of livestock being killed by coyotes, black bears and bald eagles...all around, that is EXCEPT here! ;)

Two LG dogs are better than one imo. I have one, but when my other elderly St. goes out, they tag team the property.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
My old St. used to pull my daughter and friends around in a little red wagon. I just used an old (large) horse halter and put it on her upside down. The halter fit perfectly around her body and had some nice rings to attach ropes to. She was an ox and could have easily pulled anything.
:lol: That is the EXACT thing we used to use on my 36 inch tall Shetland when she was used to pull stumps etc. We had a Tennessee Walking Horse as well and her BIG old halter worked great!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
We are so creative aren't we? :lol: (BTW, Bee, a large horse halter new will only push you back about $14...however, you can find them used for cheap on ebay etc.)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine just how this halter would be fitting on this large dog....is it fitting around the legs and chest? Just how large are the horses in your area???? :th

Pics or explanations? :p

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Not sure about the horse thing... but I used to make dog harnesses... if you want one... :D

Latest posts