Quick ?...Can I make black beans in the crock pot and how?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I am soaking my black beans in whey and water for a long soak up to 12 hours.

I want to use my crock pot to cook them b/c it is going to be hot tomorrow and we don't have a.c.

Can I make them in the crock pot? If so, how long and what temp would you recommend?

Puck-Puck

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would boil them until soft, discard the water, put them in the crock pot with fresh water, and add whatever else you had in mind. I have done this with those big red beans--kidney or navy?--and it has worked fine. Haven't used black beans in ages, so I don't remember if they cook comparably. An old neighbour of mine says they cook much more quickly with a teaspoon of either baking soda or baking powder added to the water, but I haven't tried that.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BBH, the crockpot works wonderfully for beans of all kinds. When the soaking is done just toss them in the pot per the recipe, and cook till done. I can't give times, because amount and age of the beans make a difference. My old crockpot has a setting where it will bring the contents to High, and then switch automatically to Low, which is what I use for beans (and many other things). When looking for a new crockpot I couldn't find this feature anymore :(. If you've got it, use it. If not, and if you'll be home, then put it on High till the beans reach simmering, and then switch back to Low (I like this as the beans don't seem to get so mushy when they aren't thrown around at a boil). If time is an issue do it on High, if it isn't do it on Low. They'll cook no matter how you do it, but, especially if you aren't there to check periodically, Low is gentler.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks you guys!

I'll be home to watch them tomorrow. Just to be sure, here is what I'm going to do.

1. Soak overnight in whey and water.

2. Rince and transfer to crockpot add enough water to cover.

3. Bring to a slow boil via crockpot set on high.

4. Turn down to low and cook until tender.

Does this look right?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It may be too late for you....but I just throw them in, after the soak, with fresh filtered water and some garlic and onion and set in on low and leave it overnight. I smash 'em for bean dip mostly so it doesn't matter if they are overcooked. If I want them to hold their shape, I simmer on the stove top when I can be around to check on them. They can be done in an hour or in four hours!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BBH, we always cook our beans in the crockpot......on low and overnight. They are done in the morning and ready for eating. No presoaking required! :)

And this wouldn't heat up your house all day. Heck, if needed, I would run an extension cord out to the porch and cook them there.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, they will be perfect, but do presoak to get rid of anti-nutrients (phytates) and also make them less gas-producing.... :sick

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks all of you guys for answering my quick question!

My beans are rinsed from their overnight soak in wheyand water and in the crock pot on low with some onions, garlic and salt pork.

Hopefully they will be perfect for lunch or dinner today!

Latest posts