quick pickles

pattee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hensdeliverthegoods said:
If, after eating all the pickles in that store-bought jar you have plenty of pickle juice left over, don't throw it out. Simply put in enough of your favorite pickling veggies so that the liquid barely covers, and put back in the refrigerator. In just a short while, they'll be pickled! :)
Really???
Like carrots and onions and cucumbers?
WOW

ParsonsWife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I never have pickle juice left over...I know...we love pickles!
Went to a youth camp several years back and they were selling picklesicles....(sp?)
In an ice tray, pour your pickle juice in (don't change anything)
stick a toothpick in...freeze, then serve.
It's crazy...but good.
Like kool-aid popsicles...

chcknrs

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
After you use the pickle juice to make the pickled beets, add a little vinegar and then add the hard boiled eggs. Let sit for about two weeks in fridge. Turns the eggs a very pretty pink, and still good eating. The longer you leave them in the beet pickle juice, the deeper in the eggs get.

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi, Parsonswife! :frow

Chcknrs, I don't use pickle juice to make my pickled beets, I use a very simple mix of vinegar, water, sugar, and bay leaf, and now often add a couple of pea sized pieces of dried ginger (not candied) and a couple of cloves.

However, I have put eggs in the liquid when we are done making a few batches of beets. (It needs a bit more vinegar added with each batch, IMO.) And they are pretty!

The first time I saw pink pickled eggs was at a small country market which sold the best pickled eggs ever, at their counter, and in their cooled counter.

(The spicy ones sat in a jar on the counter, non-spicy in the cooled case. They were 25 cents apiece, 2 for 35, then went up, eventually, to 50 cents apiece, 2 for 75 cents.)

:)