Quinoa

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I took some quinoa from my pantry, put it on damp paper towel in a bag. Its germinating!

I put seed on both sides and laid it on a table. The light side is germinating better than the dark side.

Organic quinoa from the grocery store costs less then buying from a seed vendor.

20211024_093004.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If I actually liked the taste enough to eat more, I'd see how well it faired with wet until July weather. Maybe I should grow just a bit as I have a few things that could use the saponin from washing the harvested seeds.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If I actually liked the taste enough to eat more, I'd see how well it faired with wet until July weather. Maybe I should grow just a bit as I have a few things that could use the saponin from washing the harvested seeds.
I dont like it either. DS14 likes it. Bet chickens would eat it too. 😁

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Makes sense that it would prefer cool weather since the Incas grew it in the Andes. I believe the wild version of it is what we call Goosefoot or Lambsquarters. Insects tend to avoid the seeds because of the saponins. The wild version has smaller seed with apparently a thicker seed coat, so it's a lot crunchier than domesticated quinoa. The greens of both kinds provide a lot of nutrition also.