Quitting Commercial Pectin

Athene

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In my endless quest to render everything storebought either optional or obsolete, I've been reading about using crabapples for jam making, rather than pectin. Does anyone do this? Have you had success?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have read about it, but never tried it. I currently just use dutch gel... It's dirt cheap compared to buying the boxed crap.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried making apple pectin years ago, and didn't have much success. But I didn't have access to crabapples, or even unripe apples, and so used cooking apples. I would try it again if I had crabapples.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz - Sourness shouldn't be a factor with this. You aren't making the jam/jelly from the crabapples, just the jelling agent. And jams/jellies need sugar in any case. Besides, crabapple jelly is quite lovely, I understand.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had lovely crab apples at our old house, nice even for eating (not sour at all) once they were ripe--but crab apples don't keep, thus why people make jelly from them.

We used to make applesauce from them, but my friend and her Mom both made the jelly from her Mom's crab apples and it was delicious.

I've read about making apple pectin, but have never tried it myself.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I have not personally done it, however I do have a recipe I would like to try. My Grandma used to use homemade pectin and I know she did it with crab apples which are supposedly perfect for this use.
http://figjamandlimecordial.com/2009/03/09/homemade-pectin/
My grandmother would disagree with yours! My mother loves to tell the story about how grandpa got no rest Until he got Quices started on their new farm (which had 3 crabapple trees in the frontyard. For more about quinces look them up! All I know is that they Were pretty when they bloomed but the fruit stayed hard as rocks Until they froze on the tree. That was one advantage you didn;t have to fight off birds or bugs like you must with crabapples. As a boy they were great for throwing at other kids.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had one in the front yard growing up as well (yep my sister got a few thrown at her head) I think they are probably perfect for pectin making considering I don't know of any other constructive use for them ;) because they were nasty to try to eat!

The most common use for your quince will be in the making of jams, jellies and preserves. Used in a jelly recipe it will have a flavor somewhere between a pear and apple. Its high pectin content (gelling ability) makes it ideal for these recipes. If you like desserts where a fruit is baked, stewed or poached, the quince works well as it is firm and holds its shape.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's what the neighbor had growing in their yard when I was a kid. But, we were told they were poisonous, so we never touched them!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I have read about it, but never tried it. I currently just use dutch gel... It's dirt cheap compared to buying the boxed crap.
Do you know how much 1/3 cup of this weighs? I just wonder how many batches I could get from 1 lb, as having it shipped to me will be pretty expensive. Thanks!