Quitting my job

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have any of you quit your day job and made a go of it as a small farmer? I am so sick of the "daily grind" of work, and really want to trade in for working in the dirt all day, but it's a pretty major decision. So I wanted to see if anyone had experience in this realm, and could give me some input. :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
FarmerChick is a great resource for this...she did something along the lines as you are thinking...I'm sure she'll see this and help you!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I quit 3 1/2 years ago when my one and only daughter Nicole was born (I am almost 48 now)

so being older I had my finances in good shape. Tony works a 4 --12 hr. shift job at Commscope so I have a very good salary coming in from him and can make it.

We farm for profit. I make goat milk soap I sell which is very good income, whole hog sausage from the hogs, about 100 doz. eggs a week we sell, all produce in season.

We sell at 3 markets. Monster in Charlotte, Gastonia and small local Denver market.

I love not working a real job. I always have but after having Nicole I could not handle the farm, soap making, etc. etc. and Nicole....so it was real job or farm. Tony said stay home and farm and have a blast with Nicole.....so it works great for me!!!
best of luck to you!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My husband and I were forced into it before we were ready. I had been a SAHM for 2 years, and wasn't ready to go back to the rat race. Then my husband was injured on the job and not able to work.

We have had times when we have barely made it, and other times it has been such a blessing we wonder why we didn't do it sooner.

First thing we did was paid off the house as quick as we could so we didn't have that worry. And our only bills were monthly utilities, no car payments or anything.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ya know one thing I learned...when you work for yourself cause you truly need an income, then you work very very hard. A farm has problems unlike other business.....animals are alive and need constant care, mother nature, hmm...she can do whatever she wants to your fields, you grow, make, produce value-added products, etc. etc. then you must be everything and everywhere to sell and push those products. So we handle everything from beginning to end.

Not like maybe an internet seller that has a website and then has a drop shipper mail the product. You never truly handle your product....we farmers sure do on a 24/7 basis.....then remember there is still the home and family to deal with..LOL

I go stretched too thin. And getting older now I feel it..LOL...I work hard for what I do for my customers....but it is well worth it.!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! My dh & I have been saving a lot. We still owe on our house & my student loans. I've been really used to stable incomes, and the thought of dumping one of them to do something less predictable makes me nervous. But sometimes you've just gotta take a chance to find what makes you happy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been trying to get to a better place, jobwise, for many years. First went back to school to be a nurse when tired of working for the government in a boring, repititious desk job. Then, realized I really didn't like working with other nurses and medical personnel, so went back to school to become a massage therapist. Couldn't make steady money with this occupation while living in the country...too many small-minded, ignorant people who think massage is something dirty. Went back to school to become a medical transcriptionist, so I could finally stop working with the public. Can't get DSL in the country (at least where I live), so that blew THAT out of the water!

Sooooo....still working as a nurse, dang it! :mad:

Little tougher to quit your job and make money off the land with one income and one person. Sure wish I could, though, because I never wanted to be anything but a farmer's wife. Not too much to ask, I don't think.....just a lowly farmer's wife and a mother to my kids. Nothing fancy, just a hard-working farmer's wife....whispers>(is HE listening?)

I'd even go without the farmer if I could just have the farm and the financial backing to get started! :lol:

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I love not working a real job. I always have but after having Nicole I could not handle the farm, soap making, etc. etc. and Nicole....so it was real job or farm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would say that you have a real job Karen and probably work alot harder than some people at their "real jobs"
Don't sell yourself short, I am very impressed by what you do by yourself there at the farm.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this very moment is the one to start a business anyway- if I really was going to farm, I would be working and using what money I could get to forward that goal along with educating myself as the the realities. I would be visiting farms and talkiing to farmers and seeing if I could find a niche for my products.
In a few months, it will be clearer whether the ecomony will support your goal or you may find yourself self-emplyed whether you want or not.
Remember that self-emploment does not provide unemployment. Letting yourself be laid off if that is likely may give you that period to get on your feet.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Simple Life-----LOL-LOL--when I tell people I farm for income they kinda think I don't work....oh yes, I work for that money..HA HA

One thing about my other job, I had great hours 7-3:30 so got home early enough to feed animals and such...especially in winter those hrs. were great....plus reliable pay check, benefits, great people to work with (all men) and I just enjoyed my job. But the draw of "not working" really hit me to take advantage when Tony said to choose..HA HA....strange but now I do miss the predicability of a job and steady money, but would I go back, nope..HA HA

Latest posts