R-Lawrence - my journal here

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm reading Temple Grandin's "Unwritten Rules of Social Behavior". You should all read it, those who work with auties lol. It's great.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
abifae said:
I'm reading Temple Grandin's "Unwritten Rules of Social Behavior". You should all read it, those who work with auties lol. It's great.
One of my greatest recent disappointments was when we tried to get tickets to an event where Temple Grandin was speaking and they were all sold out. :(

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
abifae said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for it at the library.

Abi: Any time you want to come out and visit, you have an invitation. I think My Teen would do well meeting a similar-type autistic person who's found her path and figured out to get through things.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
:) Cool! Thanks. Your kiddo should read it too. It explains a LOT.

I finally figured out why romance is lost on me lol.

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got this in an e-mail from a feed store where I get some of my supplies. While it doesn't effect me, I thought I'd post it anyway because I'm sure there are horse-owners here. (I'm not on backyardherds.com yet):

State Veterinarians Office of Colorado

Equine Herpesvirus (EHV-1) Confirmed in Two Colorado Horses

General Disease Information

EHV-1 is a serious equine disease that can cause respiratory and neurologic disease, or in some cases it can result in death of the horse. The most common way for EHV-1 to spread is by direct horse-to-horse contact. The virus can also spread through the air, contaminated equipment, clothing and hands. EHV-1 is not transmissible to people;

Symptoms include fever, decreased coordination, nasal discharge, urine dribbling, loss of tail tone, hind limb weakness, leaning against a wall or fence to maintain balance, lethargy, and the inability to rise. While there is no cure, the symptoms of the disease may be treatable.

Disease Update as of 11am, 5/16/2010:

2 confirmed cases of equines with EHV-1 in Colorado

Currently horses in four different counties of Colorado (Boulder, Larimer, Mesa, and Weld) are being investigated for the disease and are under hold or quarantine orders.

One horse, which tested positive for EHV-1, was euthanized after showing severe neurological signs associated with the disease. A second horse was euthanized with similar symptoms but test results have not been confirmed at this point. The others are currently under treatment by veterinarians and in biosecure locations.

Both confirmed EHV-1 positive horses had recently attended the National Cutting Horse Associations Western National Championships in Ogden, Utah. The Colorado Department of Agriculture is working with the other State Veterinarians to investigate the location as a point of interest for the infection.

Many exposed horses in many western states are showing clinical signs of EVH-1 and some have been confirmed as EHV-1 positive through laboratory confirmation

This disease investigation is ongoing and constantly being updated.

What Can Horse Owners Do to Protect Their Horses?

If your horse attended the Ogden, Utah event:

CDA encourages all horse owners who attended the Ogden, UT, event to notify their veterinarian and isolate and monitor their horses for clinical signs of the disease. These horses should have their temperature taken twice a day. Horses with elevated temperature can be sampled by a veterinarian to analyze whether their horse is shedding EHV-1. Individual horse and barn bio-security is very important. Some horses may not show signs of the disease but may still be a carrier. Horse owners are also encouraged to restrict movement of any exposed horses even if they are showing no symptoms.

Horse Movement

The State Veterinarians Office of Colorado also reminds horse owners to consider this disease risk before transporting horses. Like any disease, EVH-1 can transfer from nose-to-nose contact. It can also be spread by contaminated tack, equipment, and peoples clothing. In addition, the virus can be spread through aerosols (airborne) for a limited distance. Continue to monitor our webpage for further information to aid in the decision making for transporting horses.

Other disease control practices that can reduce the risk of this disease would be:

Isolate any new animals and those returning to the home premises

Use separate water, feed supplies and equipment

Avoid transporting your horse until the EHV-1 outbreak is contained

Isolation of any sick horses and making immediate contact with your veterinarian

Any individual horse with clinical signs consistent with neurological EHV-1 infection should be removed immediately from the area and placed in a separate enclosure for isolation

If you have questions, call your veterinarian or the State Veterinarians Office at 303-239-4161.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I saw that on one of my horse boards.

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just curious ... can't find a gardening section on this forum, so thought I'd post this here.

I have a small row of russian olive trees and I want to plant thornED blackberries in between to make a living fence. I'm having troubles finding what kinds actually have thorns.

Looking at:
-kiowa
-prime jan
-prime jim

Anybody have these kinds? Or have another kind that has thorns?

I'd like thornED raspberries too but those are even harder to find with thorns. Suggestions?

Thanks.