Rabbit nest box from pallet wood

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well I was able to post enough to allow me to post some pics so figured I would do that. I have a single picture of a next box I made out of pallet slats. It went together pretty easily and has worked out wonderfully for the Doe that had kits recently. Greatest thing was it cost me nada. I used pallet wood, nails I had around already, and scraps from the wire bottom from the rabbit hutch(also built from pallet wood but really ugly and less than likely to get posted around here ;)

Rabbitnestbox.jpg

Nestbottom.jpg

Nestside.jpg

In addition here are some shots of the fence out of pallets as well as a chicken run I built. Well chicken and rabbit. It has since had a plywood top added to one side and a screen quarter. I then added a hinged door to the other quarter to keep the flock in and the flock eaters out.

Palletfence.jpg

Chickenrun.jpg

Brew

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
All very nice! I love the rabbit box!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Very creative on the rabbit box! :thumbsup

Do you have wire or wood floors in your hutches?

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well the doe and kits are actually in a large aquarium. I can keep this in the garage with a light for the kits since it has been cold. The buck is in a wire hutch, though he spends days out in a fenced garden area that is around 40X20 after some odds and ends chicken coop, chicken run etc.

Why do you ask?

Brew

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
BrewCrew said:
Well the doe and kits are actually in a large aquarium. I can keep this in the garage with a light for the kits since it has been cold. The buck is in a wire hutch, though he spends days out in a fenced garden area that is around 40X20 after some odds and ends chicken coop, chicken run etc.

Why do you ask?

Brew
The reason I ask is that I always let mine have babies outside in wirefloor hutches with wooden boxes. I figured the babies were on the wire of the box over bedded down wooden floors.

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well I went with the aquarium for warmth. I have some wire floor hutches and they will be the home for the next litter. I added the wire to the bottom of the next box to help with cleaning and because the site I went to called for the wire.

Anyway thanks for the comments.

Brew

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
with the wire bottom won't the bunny have a hard time eating the night droppings? When we had bun buns I remember the vet telling us to have a solid floor on the nesting box/area so that they can eat their poo at night(different type than the little cocoa puffs that you normally see). Just wondering.

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am not sure never heard about that. So far it is working out.

Brew

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
All very nice! I love the rabbit box!
Definitely, the rabbit box is the best. Wooden pallets are very cost effective and are probably a good choice.

Latest posts