Radiation Plume to hit Cali Tomorrow!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my son has had his head x-rayed 5 times, and he's only 8. I bet he's been radiated much worse than the fallout that will reach our area could ever do.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
I'd like to talk to someone that was in the Chernobyl area during the meltdown. There is a lot of people putting out info about how Chernobyl wasn't any worse than a stroll on a sunny day. I remember it much differently than that. Of course I had to go off the same kind of info we are getting now. I remember Three Mile Island. There were millions of people who thought that the possible hydrogen explosion would be the same as a nuclear detonation. The media had to go on a big campaign to correct the mis info they had put out to keep people from going berzerkoid. Of course that was back in the day when the government required factual content on news broadcast and corrections to be made when there was an error made.

Right now there is a lot of fear mongering on the side that doesn't want the risk of nuclear power. On the side that stands to make money from it there is an attitude of don't worry be happy. Same old steamy pile as usual. The public is such a good bunch of mushrooms.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
The public is such a good bunch of mushrooms.
It's easy to say that or to call people "sheeple," as I've heard mentioned here before. I personally find it difficult to sort through the info to get to the truth. If both sides are well spoken, apparently nonbiased, and intellectual, they make it difficult to figure out what to believe. It gets frustrating.

The fact is, we (Joe Blow) simply CANNOT test for radiation over in Japan or the west coast, and we rely on the media to give us our information. There are so many things in life--the extent of global warming, the best diet, the effects of different education methods--that we cannot personally test and rely on others to tell us. Sigh.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The problem is are you going to trust your government to tell you the truth?

I say, beware... they lied about 3 mile island.

I am going to put up a thread about chernobyl
Most people dont know the real story there.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
National news just had on an "expert" he explained the fallout circle around Chernobyl and the death rates as well as increased cancer rates....according to him, we are safe by 2 thousand miles. So am feeling better now although I still do not really trust that we are told the truth.

Plus I do worry about how this radiation will affect our food.
Chernobyl only accounted for an additional 1.8% chance of developing cancer.. if you lived in the area and evacuated. If you were in the plant when things went down?

I listened to a special on it last night. After 2-3 years folks could have moved back into the area.

What we are getting in Cali? Its about the same as standing in front of your microwave re-heating a slice of pizza.

LETS BAN MICROWAVES :weee

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:

Oh yes they do...........

And how many folks died on 3 mile island??????

Seriously?

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Dunkopf said:
The public is such a good bunch of mushrooms.
It's easy to say that or to call people "sheeple," as I've heard mentioned here before. I personally find it difficult to sort through the info to get to the truth. If both sides are well spoken, apparently nonbiased, and intellectual, they make it difficult to figure out what to believe. It gets frustrating.

The fact is, we (Joe Blow) simply CANNOT test for radiation over in Japan or the west coast, and we rely on the media to give us our information. There are so many things in life--the extent of global warming, the best diet, the effects of different education methods--that we cannot personally test and rely on others to tell us. Sigh.
That's what I mean. It's very frustrating because everything is filtered and used to influence you in whichever manner is best for the supplier of info. Unless you have actual first hand knowledge, you don't really know.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boyd said:
Mackay said:

Oh yes they do...........

And how many folks died on 3 mile island??????

Seriously?
http://www.radiation.org/
FIRST STUDY OF IN-BODY RADIATION BEGINS AT THREE MILE ISLAND

Harrisburg, November 14, 2005 A study of baby teeth measuring levels of Strontium-90, a radioactive chemical found only in nuclear weapons and reactors, has begun near the Three Mile Island nuclear plant.

The study is the first to analyze radioactivity in bodies of persons living near U.S. nuclear plants. The Radiation and Public Health Project (RPHP) research group announced it is seeking donations of baby teeth at a press conference today in Harrisburg.

This project will accomplish two goals, said Joseph Mangano RPHP National Coordinator. For the first time, we can understand how much radioactivity Three Mile Island has added to peoples bodies. And we can also determine if it is contributing to high local cancer rates. Effects of both the 1979 accident at Three Mile Islands unit 2, and ongoing operations at unit 1, will be explored.

Infants and children living in Dauphin County, where Three Mile Island is located, have high rates of disease and death, specifically:

Cancer death rate age 0-9, 1980-2002, 45% above U.S. (35 deaths)
Cancer incidence rate age 0-14, 1993-2002, 17% above U.S. (86 cases)
Infant death rate, age 0-27 days, 1979-2002, 23% above U.S. (600 deaths)
Child death rate, age 1-14, 1979-2002, 13% above U.S. (187 deaths)
Rate of births under 5 lbs, 2000-2002, 37% above U.S. (994 births)
Excluding accidents, suicide, and homicide
RPHP began conducting the baby tooth study in 1998. It has tested over 4,500 teeth, mostly from areas near seven U.S. nuclear plants, and has published results in four medical journals. Strontium-90 levels have been consistently found to be highest near nuclear plants, and have risen sharply since the late 1980s. The chemical is released from nuclear reactors and enters the body through breathing, drinking, and eating. It attaches to bone and teeth, where it damages cells, and is most harmful to the infant and fetus.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Why is elementary real-world-application statistics and risk assessment not taught in schools? Pat
In the immortal words of a rather portly, cigar puffing, alcoholic British commoner who became the Prime Minister: "There are lies, damn lies and statistics".

It seems that I had to take statistics for every degree curriculum I earned and I still hate statistics. What makes you think anyone is going to believe the statistics anyway?

The one thing we should be able to agree upon is that: "Statistics are what really might happen, History is really what DID happen."

The two are not synonymous.