Rainwater collection/holding tank ideas

Summer98

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would like to have some kind of rainwater collection off my house someday, which could collect into an underground/buried tank and then be pumped up for use of watering gardens. Has anyone done this?

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't bury it but about 4 years ago I got a plastic, 250 gallon tank off craigslist for $20. I have it situated under the downspout of my woodshed. I went to the hardware store and picked up a couple pieces of plumbing parts to adapt the nozzle to accept a standard garden hose. Since it's white, I cover it with a tarp to block the sunlight and keep down the algae growth. The tank sits about 5' above the level of the garden and gravity moves the water instead of a pump. I prefer to not rely on the electric company if it can be avoided.
I fill the tank in the spring then use the water when the dry summer months set in. When gardening season is over, I open the valve and let any leftover water drain away so the tank doesn't crack as the freezing temps grace us with their presence.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've thought about using big tanks to water the garden. We get mostly dry for a couple months in the summer. The rest of the time we have plenty of water that I don't have to water. I never water lawn and it only half browns up for about a month out of the year. I think a lot of that brown is the moss drying out though.

Husband doesn't like the look of the bigger tanks so I might only be able to get away with some decorative water barrels out front. 55 gallons is better than none though and most of the time would be plenty for my uses.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We have 2 of the big ones, but we've never done anything w/them. Hubby's afraid to use them. I just might have to move them around by myself and see what I can do.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's a dream of mine, too. I have access to 285 gal plastic tanks with alum braces supporting. They held syrup for the local candy factory. I was going to harvest rain water from our pole shed that's next to the garden with the tank sitting in the garden. Algae would be a huge problem here. I thought about painting the tank black or brown, putting fencing or lattice around it and growing some kind of vine crop on it (that would most likely get cooked under those circumstances).
One thing for certain, algae will plug up a garden hose really fast. A ball valve and short section of PVC before you have the hose connection might help and function as a clean out of sorts. Keep an old coat hanger handy. Maybe that wouldn't be so much a problem where you are.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was told either vinegar or bleach to keep the algae in check. I can't remember the ratio. It was a discussion about using collected rainwater to feed chicken nipples or drink cups. So it was to keep the water animal potable.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Keep in mind that any water coming off of a roof with composite, man-made shingles or tar paper/gravel has that stuff broken down in it, so that water is not drinkable, and should only be used on landscape, not vegetables. :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our giant carport has a metal roof. When we redo the house's, it will be a metal roof. They don't grow moss very well. Any other type of roofing grows moss here.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm working on this as we speak. Living in souther Ca has its challenges. With the last storm I managed to fill 1 1/2, 275 gallon ibc totes. I don't even have gutters. ...yet. I managed to position a tote right where 2 roof lines come together.

I plan to add gutters asap as well as some linked ibc totes under my elevated porch.

My elderly neighbors have been collecting water off of every shed, house, building roof for years. Even a foggy morning has some drips.

G

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've been thinking of just putting my totes out in a clear area, and using some metal roofing to make a funnel.