Raised bed gardens?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
unless you are beset by gophers, that is correct, no bottom.

I'd rough up (like, roughly dig over with a shovel) the soil underneath so the raised-bed soil can 'merge' with the underlying real soil and make it easier for the plants to sink their roots down deeper into the real soil. Reduces water demand.

Have fun,

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
We do not have any gophers here, and if we did, they would meet the old 12 gauge. Nast varmints.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I have a question along the same lines if I may ask. :) Would 16 ft long boards be too long for the length of the bed? I understand to make them wide enough to make them easily manageable, but what about long? Would it be cheaper to buy 16 ft boards or 8 ft boards? We do want a fairly large garden :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some of my beds are 4 x 8 and others a 4 x 12. Sometimes it takes and extra second to walk around the bed. I like to plant in 4 x 4 squares so both of these work well for me.
333_img_4634_1.jpg

Ticks, lucky you not having gophers. Maybe you shold come visit me for the weekend and bring your gun.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Thanks Tanks! :p
So I think 16x4 would probably work for us :) If not I can always cut 4 or 8 feet off, and make it work :D

Latest posts