raised beds

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Unless your beds are going to be higher than 10-12" there is no reason to need any material other than soil, unless just for aesthetics. Just pile it up, don't plant too close to the edge, and periodically dress it back up as it slumps during the year.

Rocks or concrete rubble are traditional edgings.

Or logs, large tree branches, that sort of thing.

Containers like barrels and tubs and suchlike are a whole different management issue -- you can certainly plant in them but you need to take serious measures to make sure you have sufficient drainage, prevent soil from sogging and souring towards the bottom of the container, and water differently than you would in a regular raised bed.

Have fun,

Pat

hsm6kids

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh i like the log idea!! First and most important is that my gardens grow food and have good healthy soil but I must admit I like them to look nice or ahh well decorated LOL nice would be an opinion. :p

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We were given a bunch of retaining wall blocks that made great circular raised beds. And we also got the edgers that are curved on one end & opened on the other that made a great rectangular bed that I have my asparagus in. The retaining wall blocks work great as they also create a seat to sit on when you are working in them. Then I have tires & my brother made me one from wood that is not treated that right now i have green beans, peas & a volunter tomato plant growing in. I have mil's old tub that we were going to turn into a fish pond but now I am thinking a raised bed as we are turning a spot in the front into a pond.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
johnElarue- that is such a pleasant looking garden.

Homesteadmom- as usual, your garden posts at this time of year just make me so envious- given edging- that's great.

Right now our area is in that can't get cold enough for things to get dormant yet not warm enough to grow anything- sort of like the easts mud season.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
john---lol---stitch patrol made me laugh

hmmm...monkey patrol?????

don't tell me monkeys are a pest for the garden, for real???---LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ETR, sorry to make you envious. This yrs garden is an experiment for me. I have never been able to grow green beans in the spring(so short here) as the plants burn up from the heat. We will be making some greenhouse frames out of pvc pipe & plastic to see if they can expand the life of my plants. I really should have planted them in Aug(end of) to have an earlier crop, but dh procrastinates badly. But I will keep you posted on how it works & maybe you can try it in your neck of the woods. Although if we don't get a frost until the end of Nov., or into Dec., then I can keep tomatoes going til then. Although my plants did not do well this yr at all(no one around here had much luck with them) so they died in Aug., But this one is a volunter & I am waiting patiently(yeah right) to see what type it is. I was hoping for fresh tomatoes to put on the Thanksgiving table but that's not happening.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, DH and I have decided to try raised beds for next year. I am super excited about it!!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail you can plant a little earlier with raised beds too, as they help to insulate the soil a little bit more.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i posted on another thread about recycling old tires for a raised bed for potatoes, this past spring i got an old bench from a car auction and tore it apart for a 12" high raised bed, it worked great you just have to keep in mind the root depth of crops you intend to put in them.

Latest posts