johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
john---lol---stitch patrol made me laugh

hmmm...monkey patrol?????

don't tell me monkeys are a pest for the garden, for real???---LOL
Hi FarmerChick,

We only got invaded once by one. Ate some eggplants rolled around on the top of the car like a monkey would, till we scared it off. But several times per year they come out of the woods and trash a farm/garden or two in the valley. That's when Stitch comes out. They don't like eye contact. The locals say if you have corn and the monkeys find it they go bonkers. Not a pretty sight I imagine. Picture 40, 2-3 foot tall red faced monkeys with 1" canine teeth, jumping and screaming, tearing up crops . Oh my. :lol:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I got about 20-30 cinder blocks this last week from the place next door(forclosure) that we rae going to make more raised beds out of for next yrs garden!! :woot

erthymom2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
watch for folks giving away thier water beds - the frames w/o the headboards make for good raised beds and should last you a year or two while you look for sturdy scrap lumber or blocks.

rosajrms

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
One of my sisters found lots and lots of empty gun cases when she was taking a load to the dump in Yakima WA. There is an army field training base over there. She got down into the dump and gathered up all the gun cases. She now uses those to line her raised beds. Nice to sit on too while you are weeding.

And, they were free. They say they have used the wood for lots of projects on their Spanaway WA home.

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have used water bed parts, and the interior framing from a sleep number bed (even though it is plastic, it lasts forever), tires, lumber that wasn't chemically treated, rocks, and just plain bags that the soil came in to make a quickie garden once. This year I am going to be adding in some upcycled plastic bag pots as containers for different herbs and other recycled garden art kind of stuff. I like to take concrete scraps (someone else moves this for me) and mix iron filings with some water and spray it on and it causes a rust kind of patina after some time passes. It looks really good to me.

Latest posts