raisin rabbits

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
BirchHatchery said:
I am lookin to get a couple rabbits one male and one female raise them to sell and eat. i am wonderin if i can feed them just hay and fresh greens and things i stopped feeding goats grain they dont need it so was wondering if it possble to feed out rabbits with no grain?
Rabbits should not be fed grain - only in very small quantities and as a supplement. Too much sugar in the grain overwhelms the simple ruminant. Feed rabbits like horses, their digestion is quite similar. I raised angora rabbits which are not easy keepers since they are ALWAYS growing out wool. I added 1 t oats per 2 cups of pellet. In times of growth, gestation, lactation, I added 1 t calf manna per day.

Rabbits can be fed out on alfalfa hay and "supplements" like garden and table scraps. Rabbits you are growing out may be fed alfalfa hay with no limit. Rabbits you want to live long lives (pet rabbits) should have the alfalfa hay limited.

The problem with alfalfa hay is the PROTEIN is high. The result of feeding too much over TIME can be kidney trouble. If urine appears red or brown, lower protein feed CAN be used. If urine turns yellow, opaque, sandy, or "like mustard", the rabbit is suffering from too much protein in the diet.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
No idea about what to feed rabbits, just liked the title of your thread and thought it would be funny if it was reversed to read, "Rabbit Raisins" :lol:

(Sorry, I know that was bad but I couldn't help myself! I'm sure someone here knows the answer :))
:yuckyuck

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Marianne said:
moolie said:
No idea about what to feed rabbits, just liked the title of your thread and thought it would be funny if it was reversed to read, "Rabbit Raisins" :lol:

(Sorry, I know that was bad but I couldn't help myself! I'm sure someone here knows the answer :))
:yuckyuck
I checked in because I thought it was going to be a question about giving raisins to rabbits. (Which is no, except for rare treats. My rabbits love yogurt covered raisins.)