Raising livestock a bit more naturally...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with Basic H right now with my dogs, cats, chickens for a de-worming treatment. I'll definitely try it with the sheep. The breed I'm getting is supposed to be pretty parasite resistant, so I will have fun seeing just how well the gals do on the Basic H. I will just be using the "proof is in the pudding" method....if they thrive, if they are healthy, alert, producing well...then I'm doing something right. If not, then I will find a solution. A healthy solution! ;)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am not sure if this goes in this thread or not, but I thought I'd throw in that I'm housing my rabbits with my chickens. I have one rabbit that is running loose in the coop, and three other rabbits that are in a hutch inside the coop. The chickens aren't letting much chicken poo build up in there, as they are scratching it apart first chance they get!

The three new baby bunnies are housed with the chicks in the outside brooder.

All the rabbits have free choice pellet foods, and whatever they spill the chickens clean up. :)

It's nice, too, walking into the coop and the little black male comes right up to me for treats! Today I gave them some carrots and celery that I had cleaned up. The babies never had it before, but the older rabbits went nuts, and my little black male stood up on his hind legs and took his carrot right from my hand!

The geese have found that they enjoy being in the pasture with the goats, and I have several chickens that enjoy scratching through the cow manure. ;)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm experimenting with Basic H right now with my dogs, cats, chickens for a de-worming treatment.
Hey Bee can you explain your basic H method I have some of this & you have peaked my interest.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
What is Basic H. I would like to know also.
Amos I'm with you, I prefer "natural" methods to all those chemical and expensive solutions they try to have you use for remedies. If it worked for my grandmother, I figure it'll work for me. So what if it doesn't work in 24 hrs or maybe not at all some times. At least I'm not using some weird chemical derivative of something, that really hasn't been proven to be really harmless.
I'll stick with the old fashioned country ways, from my grand mother's and great grandmother's times. At least as best I can.
We have chickens, a rabbit, a dog, a cat, goldfish in a pond, lizards caged and wild.
We try to feed everyone as much homegrown and or homemade food as possible. Everyone has a job.
The chickens provide eggs, entertainment, compost, manure, bug and weed control and meat. Ok so we butchered one and it is still in the freezer, but someone in this household will eat it - I really do plan on cooking it, soon.
The rabbit is our compost factory, weeds in, manure out. You should see our peach trees. They are fertilized primarily with bunny poop.
The dog protects everyone. She looks out for hawks and other things that don't belong. Our rooster actually relaxes, when he realizes that the dog is on lookout. The dog has also decided to protect the hens from the rooster, when his attentions aren't wanted and the hens put up a fuss. She just gets in between them and the rooster gives up. She also loves to help pull weeds and old stalks of corn and such.
The cat of course is for rat patrol and he does his job, but there are just too many rats. He does bring his friends by to help him sometimes.
The goldfish also provide fertilizer. When we clean out the pond the water goes to the plants.
The lizards are for insect controll.
We also have a teenage boy. He is useless. But he knows it all.
Although when we ask him a question: How did you do on your history test? He does not seem to have a good answer: I dunno!
Oh well, at least we have a smart dog.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
The goldfish also provide fertilizer. When we clean out the pond the water goes to the plants.
Thats great! Thats one big thing alot of people over look; reusing water! I admit, I've been know to throw dirty water off to the side instead of on the plants.. I'm sure it saves on water bills.

I commend those who practice and use alternative health methods!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Although when we ask him a question: How did you do on your history test? He does not seem to have a good answer: I dunno!
:lol: :gig :yuckyuck

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
FarmerDenise said:
:lol: :gig :yuckyuck
I second that!! TOOOO FUNNY!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I have 3 of those, FD!!! Did God roll them out of the same dough and use a cookie cutter? :lol: Nah, my boys are good hard workers...well, except the youngest, who sounds a heck of alot like yours! :gig :lol:

Basic H is a natural soap product made from soy plant enzymes. Has never been touted by the company as a de-worming agent and was developed back in the old days somewhere in Europe, originally, to fatten cattle and turkeys. Sort of like margarine, you know? I guess the old farmers found interesting side effects of de-worming and so have been using it for a long time now to de-worm livestock. Joel Salatin uses it and when I read his book I decided to steal his idea. He seems pretty successful in his livestock program, so why not? :p

He just puts it in his watering tank (not sure about his ratio, I forget what he said) and confines his cattle to that water for 3 days. Does that every couple of months I guess. Says it makes his cattle fat and glossy, says they eat more when drinking this water, and de-worms effectively.

The soap is made by the Shaklee company and it, of course, works as a surfactant...basically, it dissolves the protective oils in the skin of worms and allows the digestive juices to kill them. You know, my grandma and my mother always saved their dishwater to feed to the chickens and pigs, said it was "good for them" and I never knew why. Maybe this is it? Maybe any soap would work as well?

Did you know that Dawn dishwashing liquid is what they used to kill the killer bees that had threatened to move into America? Same way...the soap emulsifies their natural oils and kills them...on contact, from what I've read. I've used this method in a Super Soaker to shoot down bees nests high up on my house, where I couldn't not reach with spray! :lol:

I'm actually going to try the Shaklees on the dogs, cats, chickens....and myself! See how it does. I will use it according to the directions on the bottle for cleaning! :D Its very concentrated, so a little goes a long way....like a drop is good for 16 oz. Trust me, I've tried it and a drop is enough for that amount! :sick I will try it in juice next time! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one note to be weary about....when drinking "soapy" water animals tend to drink less, so contain them for a longer period of time to drink the tainted water for the effects...cause no one, not even a critter wants to drink soap water. This note came from a website (can't remember which) when I researched this info for myself.

just passing it along

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I guess my animals don't notice the flavor over the ACV taste! ;) Heck, these animals love drinking the dog-slobber water in the dog's bucket....even with the drowned mouse in it! :sick

Our pigs used to looooove the dishwater! Slurp it up like candy! Pigs aren't too discerning of taste, though, are they? ;)