Ramblings of a frustrated woman

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The cloak of "protection" is an illusion.
Not totally. There are plenty of insects in certain parts of the country that are kept in bounds by the climate or the food source (or lack of). Move them somewhere else and they become invasive. Same thing with certain plants species.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They've kept chronic wasting disease in deer and emerald ash borers out of my state when they have issues in neighboring states so I'm ok with that I guess?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I understand, lol. Sometimes it's fun to just check in and see what's going on. But, we love to corrupt (I mean WELCOME) new-comers. (even though you're not really new...)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The sole reason my state issues nursery permits is to track and avoid the spread of several insects and diseases . Otherwise they don't care.

IMO, that argument is totally bogus. If it is legal to buy seeds of any particular plant, grow the plants from that purchased seed, or cultivate a particular plant in a certain state, then the government has no business dipping their fingers into the wallets of the individual who chooses to grow and sell such plants within the state borders.

They've kept chronic wasting disease in deer and emerald ash borers out of my state when they have issues in neighboring states so I'm ok with that I guess?

Don't think for a minute that the EAB or CWD are respectors of state lines. These pests will march forward whether fees are levied or not. Granted, some human activity does result in spread of disease or pests. But IMO it's naive to think that once a pest has entered a continent that we can regulate and legislate to prevent it's spread. We may slow the progress. But if the pest can survive in a given climate, it will do so.

Hi, have been lurking for a long while now and only posting once in a while, just wanting to let posters to know I find this conversation very intriguing. I have wonder about this on many occasions, so I don't know the answer but the example I can come up with is Boa Constrictors that are destroying the native wildlife in Florida, bees that are killing the native bees and so forth, but then again I think of the dreaded thistle and yet I see all the wonderful butterfly's an insects that depend on them now. Just my 2 cents which really doesn't help, but there it is

Hi Bambi.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are in the gypsy moth quarantine area so they regulate exports to areas that are not. They are trying to keep emerald ash borer from spreading. And I would consider it poor practice of fish and game to not at least attempt to keep our deer population from wasting away. I don't expect the deer to stop at the state line but if they can keep more CWD from coming in, I'm happy. It barely costs a thing for any of these regulations and inspections in my state and I don't consider either the fish and game department or myself to be naive.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow, your fees are high. I can't break even on egg sales here. The state amount for the permit is reasonable, about $30, but the county tacks on a few hundred. :facepalm: But I can butcher and sell up to 1,000 chickens per year without a permit. o_O Thankfully the nearest farmer's market to me has very low fees, I think it's $10/day. But still not worth it for me. I do better on FB marketplace and dropping off in town when I run errands. I forget the limit for nursery business without a license - I think it's only $500 of sales permitted without a state license. But I can sell high-acid home canned goods.... but not home-baked goods. I can sell produce from my garden, but I can't cut, dry, freeze it.

Some of it makes sense. The food safety stuff. Illness from eggs from small producers is on the rise. The fees cover the cost of inspection. The nursery license I can understand - the purpose is to protect from the spread of invasive plant and insect species and plant diseases that would be an economic nightmare.

I'm also amazed by how many people don't follow the rules and don't get caught. I don't buy food from cottage industry, I just don't trust people that much. If they're willing to skirt the licensing or tax law, how can I expect they followed basic food safety rules too?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Selling butchered birds here is prohibitive on fees and regulations. I can sell eggs at my house without any need of a license, though. Still can't make that worth it for sales. Cost of feed is just too high for what so many want to pay. They think home raised eggs should cost a buck a dozen like the cheap white store eggs.