Ramblings of a frustrated woman

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I haven't looked into the regulations for selling butchered birds here, but selling eggs is pretty easy. You need to have someone inspect your coops, etc, if you're selling to restaurants, etc, but I think if you sell directly to consumers, for example neighbours or fiends, you don't need to do much at all. It's been awhile since I looked it up though, so speaking from memory now and it's been awhile!

When you want to sell homemade foods you need to have your kitchen inspected and approved and they are hardcore about food allergies information and health and safety here. Which is not a bad thing!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wow, that's just crazy with the permits cost.

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
These are the Texas laws :(:mad::he:rant

It would cost $110 since I'm under 10 acres . I made a mistake in my original post...10 events are permitted with the $110, meaning 10 trips to farmers market, etc, but if I use up those 10 and want more it's $50 for another "block" (booklet thing) of 10. So, not quite as costly as I thought at first but still ridiculous. And, the inspection every three years still stands. I'm not fond of the idea of some agent being at my house.

I would love to homestead elsewhere, but it's not possible. We're leaving our current location to move back to Texas to homestead. :hit
IMG_20190219_094805.jpg
IMG_20190219_094816.jpg

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can bet your bottom dollar that the corrupt politicians will find a way to get their hands into the cookie jar. Of course, it's all done by under the cloak of "protection."

I feel as if the following quotes apply to all laws that intrude upon our freedoms ( such as making a small profit of flowers we paid for and labored over).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." -Thomas Jefferson

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves. - Henry David Thoreau

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The sole reason my state issues nursery permits is to track and avoid the spread of several insects and diseases . Otherwise they don't care.

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The sole reason my state issues nursery permits is to track and avoid the spread of several insects and diseases . Otherwise they don't care.

That's the reason Texas does as well. One has to wonder what pioneers did before the AG Dept was aorund to babysit thigns. I mean, they moved cross country carrying their plants and seeds with them/trading locally whereever they stopped without oversight of any kind, and yet the plant world survived, wasn't overcome with pests and disease. The cloak of "protection" is an illusion.

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nature has a way of balancing itself out. Not necessarily in an ideal manner.

Pioneers moved plants around (pests and diseases naturally go as well). Founding fathers did, Indians did, any explorer would have, etc. But all of a sudden we need oversight?

I stand with Jefferson and Franklin on this matter: He who gives his freedom for safety gets none of them. Thomas Jefferson
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Liberty- selling without license/permits/oversight
Safety- maybe protection against a what if in a world beyond control.

And that is my thinking behind my rambling....