Ramblings of a frustrated woman

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nature has a way of balancing itself out. Not necessarily in an ideal manner.

Pioneers moved plants around (pests and diseases naturally go as well). Founding fathers did, Indians did, any explorer would have, etc. But all of a sudden we need oversight?

I stand with Jefferson and Franklin on this matter: He who gives his freedom for safety gets none of them. Thomas Jefferson
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Liberty- selling without license/permits/oversight
Safety- maybe protection against a what if in a world beyond control.

And that is my thinking behind my rambling....

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Like kudzu
and pampas grass

as @KeeperAtTheHomestead said, nature has a way of balancing things, even if it isn't always the way WE think it should be balanced. I've noticed a tendency in the world today to be morbidly obsessed with keeping things the way we think they've always been, but think about it: If it weren't for things being "invasive" we would not have trees, or flowering plants of any kind, or pretty much any other kind of life on this planet.

Last edited:

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with controlling a plant species. Some are "predators" and will wipe out their "prey." Nature has a way of balancing itself out. Similar to the animal kingdom. i disagree with giving the government the power to control what plants can and can't be sold by the people in the name of "protecting our plants." That power gives them control of us.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Before things were restricted anywhere lots of nasty invasives were spread. Like the cheatgrass that covers all of the high desert here and is the reason for wildfires. Sagebrush is resistant to sparks but the easily lit, hot burning cheatgrass burns it up. So the large sagebrush plants are getting rare and there are concerns it might die out. Then there will be huge issues with sandstorms as the sagebrush is the only thing that keeps them from being too bad by anchoring the soil.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi, have been lurking for a long while now and only posting once in a while, just wanting to let posters to know I find this conversation very intriguing. I have wonder about this on many occasions, so I don't know the answer but the example I can come up with is Boa Constrictors that are destroying the native wildlife in Florida, bees that are killing the native bees and so forth, but then again I think of the dreaded thistle and yet I see all the wonderful butterfly's an insects that depend on them now. Just my 2 cents which really doesn't help, but there it is

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also, looking at countries like Iceland and their ridged restriction of import and export of animals and plants has this kept their environment what it should be and how has this impact helped the Farmers?

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you Frustratedearthm ,love to listen to others and not one to post alot.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I understand, lol. Sometimes it's fun to just check in and see what's going on. But, we love to corrupt (I mean WELCOME) new-comers. (even though you're not really new...)