Random Question. Will a cat control rats?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She's quite fearless for her size. Ran up to the horses and they didn't know how to react. Then we were watching from the house as the geese crowded around the barn, waiting to be fed no doubt and you could see her white spots in the shadow just under the barn wall and then when all was still she popped out half way, scared the geese and then withdrew back into the barn. She is queen of the barn and she knows it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is one very beautiful, proud animal! Who in the world would give away such a wonderful cat? :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Beautiful cats are given away every day (I've worked in cat rescue for years) and it has no reflection on the cat alot of the time.

So have any rats been felled? I'm curious to hear how that is going.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
That is one very beautiful, proud animal! Who in the world would give away such a wonderful cat? :)
we've got a house FULL of cats that people threw away. its very frustrating. i know people like this that get bored, or didnt think about it, or just didnt care anymore.

but

i'm glad this little lady found a new home!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She was finally let out of her crate for 24/7 patrolling of the barn. I haven't caught her with any rodents yet. Although, everytime I walk into the barn, there's no telling where she's going to be. Walked in this morning and didn't see her and finally heard her meow(she's extremely talkative) and she was in the barn rafters above my head.

As for why someone would give her away. It really wasn't because they wanted to, they were having to rehome all their cats. Someone in their extended family was diagnosed with cancer and was moving in with them. The person diagnosed with cancer is allergic to cats, so therefore that cats get bumped. This was the explanation that was given to me.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sorry i didnt read all the posts but.... outdoor cats who have been taught by their mothers are the best mousers. I would say in my opinion females are better but we've have more than males. And you may seriously consider that rat terrier, that is if you dont have very small children. We had one who killed more rats than a handfull of cats did. She would wait in giddy anticipation waiting for my dad to turn on the grain dryers and the rats ran out. And if it hasnt been said before, you probably have 10 times more rats than you have seen.