Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yard sale find -

2468_crewel.jpg

My new yard sale find. It is a large coverlet, embroidered with wool, made in India. Yes it has stains, yes it has holes, but...it is enormous. I should be able to make some lovely shopping bags as Christmas gifts. Price -$1.
What do you envision made out of this? I am accepting any ideas you would like to throw out there.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about a table runner? Or a smaller one for a dressing table or chest of drawers? Or, smaller still, place mats? Bags, as you already mentioned; larger fpr shopping, smaller for knitting or other craft projects. Sham pillowcases?

What a great find! :thumbsup

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
That's really pretty Rathbone!!!!!! I like the idea of the table runner and I might make a sewing machine cover. I know the colors aren't traditional but how about a big Christmas tree skirt? I'd love it!!

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How about upholstery a foot stool (or a chair, if you have enough). It is a great find, no matter what you do with it! I love it for bags, pillows, etc. You can't go wrong....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I love the Christmas tree skirt idea. And I personally would wear a skirt made from that. Or a large scarf or two with fringe sown on the ends. A shawl with fringe of course. I can also envision a cloth belt, long, tied with fringe dangling from the end. Throw Pillows and fringe. Ohhhhhh - do I sound like I think long fringy tendrils should be hanging from that material somehow? :D

Great find.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
love Love LOVE all of your ideas. I will be trying some of those ideas...including the ones with long fringy things.;)

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bean burritos versus steaks

Okay, so...money is tight. "Tell me something new" you say. Yes, yes, money is tight. So...
My daughter came to visit. The funny thing about poverty is that while I might trudge along with it as my constant companion, I don't exactly want to share it with anyone else. So daughter is coming and I want to serve something nice to eat...something besides the inevitable beans. Don't get me wrong, I like beans, but you know ... I wanted something nice to share.
For exactly this visit I have been hiding things at the back of the freezer, namely walnuts, butter and steak.
Family visits have always meant a lot of cooking and eating...it is what we do best I guess. So for breakfast we had french omelettes - redolent in butter. Lunch: red potato soup with ham and cheese. Dinner was my piez de resistance: New york steaks (which I found for a crazy low price a while back), garlic'y mashed potatoes, corn, and carrot coins in vinegar and brown sugar. Dinner was (fingers to mouth) superb! My sons literally licked the plate.
And then we pushed the plates back and sat chatting. And my daughter said the funniest thing. She complimented the dinner and then "Funny, I was wondering if we were going to have burritos. The past couple of weeks I have been salivating over bean and cheese burritos. I made some but they never quite taste as good as yours." And that made me laugh. The absurdity of it all somehow hit me. She actually likes my bean burritos. (hand to forehead)
I made her a lovely loaf of banana nut bread to take with her and ... I sent a tupperware full of refried beans and some homemade tortillas.

2468_tatarmy1.jpg

Tatiana and Armando

2468_tiffama.jpg

Adriana and Amarante

*Note: All laundry on the back of the couch is CLEAN. :rolleyes:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Isn't that just the way? Every kid has his/her favourite "comfort food" that Mom makes, and it's often not expensive.

Glad you got to visit with your daughter, and have a lovely family dinner together :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My ex-MIL used to make fantastic bean rolls. I loved them, looked forward to getting them whenever we went there. She always apologized for the skimpy menu, and I always told her "I DREAM about these bean rolls!" Just like your daughter, I tried making them myself, but they aren't even close :(