Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
My Mom used to make pancakes for dinner on sundays when we were little, because they were cheap and filling. We were always thrilled. I still love pancakes - if somebody else is cooking them. I don't like cooking until I've been awake longer.

We used to eat corn on the cob frequently- that my Mom either gleaned or just plain snitched from a farm field. I'm pretty sure the farmer knew and just felt sorry for her cause she was a single Mom without much money. It was the best corn and I always loved it.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I sure wish SS had a like button so I could like comments.

And DragonLaurel - dont you just love the idea of your mom snitching corn???

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
My Mom used to make pancakes for dinner on sundays when we were little, because they were cheap and filling. We were always thrilled. .
My younger daughter is the same way--to the point that on the rare occasion we go out for dinner, she will request that we go to Phil's, a local restaurant that does "breakfast all day" along with several other choices. She will either order Apple Pancakes or Waffles, and loves it when we make extra pancakes or waffles at home and freeze them for easy school day breakfasts. We eat our pancakes/waffles with canned fruit or fresh/frozen berries and yogurt, sometimes with a bit of syrup.

Cheap and filling for sure, but also yummy! :)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Rathbone - " DragonLaurel - dont you just love the idea of your mom snitching corn??? "
I have a feeling he knew and just let her have a few ears now and then. For all I know she may have flirted it out of him. After all, she was pretty, single and in her 20's. Lots of guys let women get away with anything just short of murder, if she looks good.

Moolie- Pancakes are good and us kids liked the syrup a bit toooo much back then. I don't have a clock in my tummy so I just eat what I'm in the mood for -
frequently eat leftovers for breakfast, or an egg sandwhich for a light dinner.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I had bacon and eggs on toast for lunch, and I eat whenever I'm hungry during the daytime when no one else is here too.

It's only a problem when the kids get home and I realize I haven't eaten anything since a very early breakfast and I'm famished, and then eat something an hour before we all sit down to eat dinner :rolleyes:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Moolie, I do the same thing!

My favorite thing my mom makes is deer barbeque...her recipe rocks! With my granny's cooking I am a sucker for fried apple pies and her buttermilk biscuits....now that I am GF I have to figure out how to make them. My daughter has granny wrapped around her little finger and always wants biscuits and gravy as soon as she sets foot in the door. :lol:

She can make a mean pan of buttermilk biscuits...kills me....I always got the hoecake....no body better touch that hoecake or granny would smack them with a flyswatter and say "now you know that belongs to Lori, put it back". For those of you that don't know, the hoecake is the odd lump of leftover dough that gets rolled up and baked free form and generally ends up spreading out so it is bigger than the other cut biscuits. The funny thing is that when granny was here over the weekend the first biscuit my daughter grabbed was the hoecake....granny didn't smack her for it either. :D Guess I passed that along to her, huh?

The first time I made biscuits using her recipe I actually took a picture of them and framed it for her. I was not a cook until I got into my mid 20s so I was very proud and so was she.

It's amazing how some of our favorite meals are the simplest, most basic stuff.

Oh, and btw, those are some good looking kids!!!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A word about "real" friends or acts of kindness from perfect strangers...

I know a lot of people. And frankly I make a distinction between acquaintances and friends. What really makes a friend? I know so many people I am friendly with and they know the car I drive and the typical outfit I wear and how my hair is and who my children are...but do they really know me? I would premise that they know me less than many of you here do. They know my outer self and you know the workings of my mind and heart. I find this paradox infinitely interesting.
For example I received a gift yesterday, not from someone I "know" but rather from someone I met on BYC. Someone who read comments I made and just from those comments ascertained more about me than those in my "real" world realized. She sent me a most perfect gift.
I walked into the house late yesterday after a long day and my youngest son came running forward proffering a package, a package smallish, rectangular and wrapped in paper bag. I loooved that it was wrapped in paper bag; it put me in mind of gifts from long ago. So while one child was prancing and chanting "open it, open it" the other was groaning and muttering "its probably just books, moooore books" (yes I used to buy lots of books).
Well we ripped it open and the most delightful aroma wafted up...but I couldn't for the life of me figure out the scent. What I received was exactly what one needs to make wine. I have very much been wanting to make wine. I received a bubbler, yeast, sugar etc. - everything I would need. And she oh-so-cleverly wrapped the fragile bits in a package of... coffee beans. That lovely smell was coffee beans...creme brulee coffee beans.
She will never read this post because, to my knowledge she isn't on SS. Oh but how kindness touches the heart. I have often in the past sent gifts to random people that have touched my life. I will continue to do so because I know how nice this felt. How sweet it is to receive kindness from strangers. Our big, big world is a little smaller, a little more tight knit, a little friendlier.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Real friends are more precious than gold. I can count my real friends on the fingers of one hand. Some of them have been friends for decades, others for just a year or so; but they know me and accept all my imperfections and I do the same for them.
Random acts of kindness from strangers are wonderful and heartwarming; they are the glue that keeps our society working.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some of my closest friends in the world are people I've known only very briefly in person or never met, true "kindred spirits" find each other and stay close despite physical distance :)

I'm so glad to read that someone made your day!