Ratio of Rice to Beans

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
OkieAnnie said:
To kill the weavels and bugs I always freeze my rice for about a week (probably over kill on the time) then I put it in the storage containers. My MIL taught me this. I haven't had any issues.
Would it have to be a deep freezer? Or will a regular freezer work?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Tallman said:
Can any of you specify what type of beans and rice you are storing?
Black, lima, cannelini, pinto, lentil, split pea, great white northern, garbanzo, kidney. Db and I grow, dry and share several.
Organic brown rice, wild rice.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I store dried:
Pinto Beans
Kidney
Black Navy
Garbanzo
Lima
Split Pea
Lentil
Northern

Canned:
Red Beans
Black
Garbanzo
Refried Pinto Beans
Refried Black Beans

I only store white rice although I use a variety of rices
my favorite being Basmati.

I make a large pot of beans each week rotating the varieties.

detali

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Supposedly brown rice does not store well. But I like brown rice for my every day cooking. I also have heard that if you put a couple of bay leaves into your rice container that that will discourage any weavils that may want at it. So every time I buy some rice I open the bag into my storage container and add bay leaves to it. Smells good when I open to use some.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
bbh, my preserving book says to freeze dried stuff in the deep freeze. It needs to be at 0 or below.
I have two refridgerators and we keep the temp on the outside fridge's freezer as low as it goes, so I use that one. I might take a friend up on his offer to use his deep freeze, at least to freeze my dried stuff for a few weeks or so.
I also add bay leaf to my dried goods. I haven't had weevils in any since I have been doing both those things. But I am also keeping my fingers crossed. Nothing worse than spending all that time growing, harvesting, processing and storing the food and finding bugs in it, when you are ready to use it. :sick

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
detali said:
Supposedly brown rice does not store well. But I like brown rice for my every day cooking. I also have heard that if you put a couple of bay leaves into your rice container that that will discourage any weavils that may want at it. So every time I buy some rice I open the bag into my storage container and add bay leaves to it. Smells good when I open to use some.
I do not open my rice bags that I am storing. I store them intact in a container and do add the bay leaves to that. I think they pack the bags with nitrogen. I have noticed that even unopened bags have a much shorter storage life than, say, beans.
Bay leaves have worked very well for opened bags of anything that weevils and flour moths like.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
When I first started out in preparedness food storage, I read somewhere that many long-term storage folks have a dry ice solution. It not only kills critters, but it helps remove oxygen from the container, which increases storage time. They use white food grade puckets with screw on lids, fill the containers to about two inches from the top, and then fill that last two inches with dry ice. Seal the container with the screw on lid, and almost immediately the critters and their evil spawn are frozen to death. As the dry ice reverts to a gas, it replaces any remaining oxygen in the container.

Thought that was a cool idea, and might be of benefit to someone !

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Since my plan to store dried meat isn't working (son and hubby kept EATING IT!!!!) I have resorted to dried beans. Since they have no clue how to prepare them (and they are lazy) the stash is safe and they will be forced to take care of me in an emergency situation if they want to eat :D

Since I don't eat rice, I am including dried tomatoes, dried onions, chia seeds, and dried corn to the emergency store.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
When I first started out in preparedness food storage, I read somewhere that many long-term storage folks have a dry ice solution. It not only kills critters, but it helps remove oxygen from the container, which increases storage time. They use white food grade puckets with screw on lids, fill the containers to about two inches from the top, and then fill that last two inches with dry ice. Seal the container with the screw on lid, and almost immediately the critters and their evil spawn are frozen to death. As the dry ice reverts to a gas, it replaces any remaining oxygen in the container.

Thought that was a cool idea, and might be of benefit to someone !
although it is a cool idea I'd never use this.

If you guess the wrong amount of dry ice in a bucket with a screw on lid you've just made a bomb. As the ice converts back to CO2 it expands... and if there is any sort of moisture in there... poof!

We used to make fish bombs with a couple of mason jars (quart and jelly) with the inner jar packed with dry ice. When the water finally hit it, the concussion from the explosion would stun the fishes and they'd float up to the top.

On the same sense, we've tossed a brick of dry ice into a cooler full of ice water put the lid on tight, then ran. Buddy wasn't too happy in the condition he found the rest of his beer!

Oxygen absorbers are better and safer than dry ice imo

Latest posts