Raw milk > heavy, light cream, half & half etc.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi everyone. So, if I had some raw milk how I would go about making it into;

A) heavy cream
B) light cream
C) half and half
D) skim, 1%, 2% milk

Already figured out butter and buttermilk. Made yogurt too. Also getting ready to experiment with cream cheese, mozzarella, sour cream and ricotta and the recipes always call for cream, but don't explain how to get the cream out of the raw milk. Eventually ice cream will make the list of course!
Thanks!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I am assuming your milk is non homogenized? Then you just let your milk sit in the fridge... and voila! The cream rises to the top. Skim it off and put it in a separate jar. In a couple hours any milk that you accidentally skimmed will separate. The cream on the top of that jar will be the 'heaviest' the stuff lower down will be lighter.

The others are pretty self explanatory, skim more or less of the cream out, but I would think the half and half would be better homogenized. Otherwise, just shake it a lot every time before you pour.

Goats milk is naturally homogenized, so you will have to get a cream separator if you want cream. It will float to the top eventually, but it takes so long your milk will taste funny by then.

Good luck with your Ice Cream. Yum!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Actually, you can get some cream...not much, but some....from goat's milk without a centrifuge. I spoon a little off the gallon jars by feel, as the milk is very white and the cream is, too, unlike cow's milk. BB has put it in a shallow pan to skim more cream off it.

I have some raw goat's milk in the fridge that is three weeks old and still good!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Psst... Monique..

I found a really easy ice-cream recipe that I'm going to make this weekend. I can't wait! I'll let you know how it goes!

:old

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do post it....we have been talking about ice cream here, I may break out my last pint of frozen cream and make something!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Ok they both work now, lol! Thanks for tinkering with it.
Well worth seeing, wow! So easy. I had no idea. :drool

I see it says splenda, etc. pkts. Does it adapt well to stevia pkts?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It should. It really doesn't need a lot of sweetness added..especially if you have good quality really ripe berries. You can also use erythritol or a blend of stevia and erythritol.

Just don't blend it too much or the cream starts to turn to butter. That never stopped us from eating it, but the texture and flavor are more ICE CREAM if you don't get too carried away :D