Raw milk > heavy, light cream, half & half etc.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
I am assuming your milk is non homogenized? Then you just let your milk sit in the fridge... and voila! The cream rises to the top. Skim it off and put it in a separate jar. In a couple hours any milk that you accidentally skimmed will separate. The cream on the top of that jar will be the 'heaviest' the stuff lower down will be lighter.

The others are pretty self explanatory, skim more or less of the cream out, but I would think the half and half would be better homogenized. Otherwise, just shake it a lot every time before you pour.

Goats milk is naturally homogenized, so you will have to get a cream separator if you want cream. It will float to the top eventually, but it takes so long your milk will taste funny by then.

Good luck with your Ice Cream. Yum!
Ok, I think I get it. And then, if I want to pasteurize, I would AFTER the cream has separated? And what about homogenization? Had would I do that at home? Does the texture and flavor improve from homogenizing?

Thanks for your help.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Real raw milk is the best thing on this planet. Really, you don't want to try to make it into storebought. Otherwise, why put up with hauling water in freezing rain, milking with snow swirling down your collar, milking with mosquitoes flying up your sleeves, dodging hooves while milking, hair being shed into your milk, sleepless nights waiting for the critter to give birth, sleepless nights worrying about the babies, shovellingshovellingshovellingspit, no room to put anything in the fridge because all you can see is jars of white stuff, and a wide variety of methods of getting covered in boogers and poop.

I homogenize the milk by giving the jar a good shake just before pouring! Whole milk all the way, baby! :drool

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Real raw milk is the best thing on this planet. Really, you don't want to try to make it into storebought. Otherwise, why put up with hauling water in freezing rain, milking with snow swirling down your collar, milking with mosquitoes flying up your sleeves, dodging hooves while milking, hair being shed into your milk, sleepless nights waiting for the critter to give birth, sleepless nights worrying about the babies, shovellingshovellingshovellingspit, no room to put anything in the fridge because all you can see is jars of white stuff, and a wide variety of methods of getting covered in boogers and poop.

I homogenize the milk by giving the jar a good shake just before pouring! Whole milk all the way, baby! :drool
:lol: Freemotion, you make it sound so glamorous! :lol:

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol: Well, I'm asking because I've read that it's better to be safe than sorry when giving the milk to children. I wouldn't want to make my kids sick of course.