Raw milk~shares in cow?????~I think I'd rather buy a low line jersey!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
When DH worked for the local now out of business dairy farm, we were allowed all the fresh raw milk we could consume. I really miss getting the raw milk.

I've recently been made aware of another local farmer who's thinking about doing shares in a cow. Part of me would like to learn more about it....but on the other hand, I would really like to just buy the cow outright, milk her myself.

I've been reading up on Low Line Jerseys for awhile..smaller cow, less space needed to house her, and great milk production! (smaller cow is good...have I told ya'll I'm deathly afraid of grown cattle?!)

I just keep thinking of all the things I could do with raw milk! I'd have milk, cream, and could make butter! *mouth's watering*

So is there anyone who currently does the shares? or have low line Jerseys?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail--look into dexters. thats the kind of cow I want to get. They milk well, but they are considered dual purpose cattle. Meaning they are a solid yet small creature, whose offspring could be used for meat.

I really really want one, but I seriously don't think I have enough land to sustain one. Three acres--two which are being used by horses. I could put the cow in with the horses, but it seems we just have enough land for the horses to graze all summer. if we put a cow in there (plus baby occasionally), we would have to supplement feed.

So, for me, I'm thinking of getting goats again. ( haven't told hubby yet--he has enough on his to do list) So now I'm thinking of getting another nubian and a pigmy buck--create my own line of kinder goats.

But if I can get a cow--I'd get a dexter. Although jerseys are cute!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
QA - make sure you check out Ohio's raw milk regulations before you get involved in shares. As you probably know, Ohio is not raw milk friendly.

Two years ago I went with a friend to visit a herd that she was thinking of buying into. Their milk house was brand new (tile and stainless steel) so she bought some of their milk products. However, she left without signing up for ownership, because the herd was in miserable shape - covered in manure, muck and mud, and they didn't look like happy cows to her.

Your own cow would better, I think, because you would have control over what the animal ate/was fed, and how it was treated.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
yea, I heard Ohio wasn't too raw milk friendly. That's the main reason I wanted to research that a bit more. Having control over what they have to eat and such is a big factor for wanting my own cow, too.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I've also heard that Dexter's are good dual purpose cows to have. My grandparents, along with their Holstiens have about three Jerseys, and they really like those. I agree that owning your own cow would be better; we had been thinking about it, but then we got dairy goats. If you manage them properly their milk can taste even better than cow milk. We gave some to a friend who's son was allergic to cows, and her husband who's owned dairy cows all his life drank some of the goat milk for dinner and didn't know the difference. I think I read somewhere on here that you already have goats? If you get a real good dairy goat they can give up to 2 gallons a day.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yes, I do have goats already. We are down to just our pair, Elroy and Nan. Nugget was sold, turns out she was a pygmy cross, and Bambi became ill and passed away.

We think Nan is possibly bred again, but not sure.

I tasted the goats milk (not from my own goats) that we had got from somewhere else, I kid you not (no pun intended) it tasted to me like I had sucked on Elroy's beard!! :sick

I should probably try milking and drinking my own goats milk, when she's milkable again.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you run Nan with Elroy? Buck scent 'flavors' the milk, thats why most people won't drink goats milk. To have a normal taste they should be seperated, but they are obviously herd animals so they might each need a friend of their own.. What kind of goat is Nan?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have been giving samples to everyone who says the same thing about goat milk and all come back with "yum!" But no buck here, and not much browse available. If I keep a buck in the future, I will build a pen and shelter a good distance away and keep a whether with him, just bringing the girls for a visit in December. Plenty of time for the smell to fade by the time they are milking.

When I was a kid, we either borrowed a buck or sent the girls out for a month, and whethered the kids, so the milk was wonderful. We also did not feed scraps that would taint the milk, strongly flavored veggies like cabbage. We had meat rabbits, so we could still use up everything.

Be aware (you likely are, since you have goats already) that cows give a LOT of milk, even the little ones!!! I am overwhelmed with Mya's gallon a day habit, and I can't leave to visit my parents until I find someone trustworthy to milk her. In the suburbs.

I wanted a cow anyways and researched Jerseys and Dexters, settled on a Dexter, but could not find any in my area. As soon as I got my goat, though, they started showing up on craigslist! I do wish I could make butter. But I also remember the 5 gallon pails of milk in the pantry when we briefly had a cow. A dairy farm reject who gave "only" 4 gallons a day! Mom was overwhelmed. The cow was sold and two goats were purchased.

But oh, the beef from her calf!! :drool

Boy, I wish you were my neighbor. I would still share a cow with you in a heartbeat. Share expenses and milk and the work. That would be awesome!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Amos said:
Do you run Nan with Elroy? Buck scent 'flavors' the milk, thats why most people won't drink goats milk. To have a normal taste they should be seperated, but they are obviously herd animals so they might each need a friend of their own.. What kind of goat is Nan?
I think they are both boers, and yes, right now they are run together, but I have not tasted my own goats milk yet. This was milk from my DH's Uncles goats. Not sure if his run together or not.

We aren't set up yet to separate them out, but are probably going to sell Elroy soon anyway and run Nan with the calves. She doesn't mind the calves, but Elroy is pretty mean.

free, I would love to have you as a neighbor!

I have a large family, using up the milk wouldn't be a problem. My kids drink close to a gallon a day by themselves, plus we use milk in our coffee...plus we have 5 more people moving in with us in about a week....so I'm sure I could use up the milk! My mom had talked about going in together on a milk cow, but she's another one who would want us to do all the work, and she get the benefits of our work without putting in effort.

When my cousin found out we were getting goats, she just assumed we'd give her milk whenever she wanted. I told her we could barter for the milk. She was like, "We'll see." She really just expected that everything we were doing for our farm was supposed to benefit her and her family, too! She even convinced my mother to purchase canning jars, and they canned up a storm together....she told my mom "We'll share the foods, but the canning jars come back to me when they are empty." My mom paid for them!

Ok, sorry, I got off topic lol

I don't think I'd have a problem with getting 4 or more gallons a day! We'd find uses for it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
We aren't set up yet to separate them out, but are probably going to sell Elroy soon anyway and run Nan with the calves. She doesn't mind the calves, but Elroy is pretty mean.

free, I would love to have you as a neighbor!

I don't think I'd have a problem with getting 4 or more gallons a day! We'd find uses for it.
You are a brave woman, Aly! I hope I didn't say anything to discourage you from getting another buckling in the spring.... ;) Especially one from a wonderful mama and one that is well-raised and well-mannered!!! :lol:

Start making your cheese presses and molds soon, before dh gets back to work!

And, yeah, aren't people funny, figuring that the stuff we work hard for and invest our money in should be free to them! I used to get that all the time with massage. People figure it doesn't cost me anything, so I can just give it to them for nothing or a discount. When I managed a very high-end show horse farm, people called all the time wanting to come exercise the horses. And everyone wants my compost!!!! :rant NO! So there! :tongue

Now I've learned to just throw back my head and laugh, wipe my eyes, and say, "You are SO funny!" :gig