Raw milk~shares in cow?????~I think I'd rather buy a low line jersey!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly, I've heard those low-line jerseys are pretty expensive, not to mention you have to find a small bull with which to breed or do AI from a smaller breed, which is also a little pricey, unless you have someone who can do it for you. How about a regular jersey, which aren't real big anyway, and breed her to a beef breed?

I've always wanted a jersey, low line or other, as they are so sweet and beautiful and their milk is so very rich! Heck you could finish off two babies on a jersey and still have plenty for your family!

I think a dairy cow is a great idea, but I can see why you would want a small breed. I've heard the Dexters have great tasting milk. :) But the jerseys have those big, long eye lashes...... :love

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Now I've learned to just throw back my head and laugh, wipe my eyes, and say, "You are SO funny!"
That's a wonderful response! I'm learning the hard way that once you give something away, you will ALWAYS have to give it away :) I don't really mind, but it helps a lot when people at least remember to say "thank you" and appreciate it.

This whole raw milk thing is so interesting!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
After being raised on the whole milk fresh from Lady(our cow) anything else tasted like watered down, stale milk. Sort of like my eggs compared to store bought....no comparison really.

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would just go with a jersey, breed her to an angus for beef calves. Then single milk her while she has the calf. You can use up an amazing amount of milk making cheese. People do not seem to realize it takes 12 pounds of milk to make a pound of cheese. Cheese yields can be better or worse depending on the type of cheese you are making.

You get better cheese yields from goat milk BTW.

I agree with beekissed that there is no comparison.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So once again, my interest in the miniatures have been peeked! I went on a hunt..and found a place in Ohio that has them.

http://www.miniaturejerseys.com/history.htm

I have not contacted them yet...I am sure I would drop over when they told me the prices. :lol: With only DH and I here..I am not sure we would use 2 gallons of milk a day..and I have NO IDEA how to make cheese...or where to even get started. Now, if he would let me raise pigs...I would have plenty outlet for all that extra milk! LOL I just think they are the sweetest little cattle..the Jersey..and would LOVE to open my door every day, and see her contently grazeing in my pasture. :love Ahhhh, if life was perfect.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
justusnak said:
So once again, my interest in the miniatures have been peeked! I went on a hunt..and found a place in Ohio that has them.

http://www.miniaturejerseys.com/history.htm

I have not contacted them yet...I am sure I would drop over when they told me the prices. :lol: With only DH and I here..I am not sure we would use 2 gallons of milk a day..and I have NO IDEA how to make cheese...or where to even get started. Now, if he would let me raise pigs...I would have plenty outlet for all that extra milk! LOL I just think they are the sweetest little cattle..the Jersey..and would LOVE to open my door every day, and see her contently grazeing in my pasture. :love Ahhhh, if life was perfect.
Yes, that is the same breeder in Ohio I was thinking of contacting...I just haven't done it yet because I'm scared to hear the price LOLOLOL

My main reason for wanting a miniature, or lowline, is because we do only have 7 acres, 5 of which will be pasture. I want to be sure I have enough space.

The second reason is my horrible fear of 1200 pound cattle. I could totally see getting stampeded to death! (Good thing we don't cattle drive the old fashioned way! I'd die of a heart attack from fear!)

ETA: I bit the bullet, I emailed him...I'll let you know what he says!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly, we had a Holstein when I was growing up and, as you know, they are pretty big cows. She was the sweetest thing while out in the field and would lay down with her head in my lap and mooch around for a good scratchin'. THEN, when it came time to milk she needed an excorcist!!! I swear her head actually rotated on her neck! My dear, sweet, bipolar cow! :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Our buying club got our first delivery of raw organic milk on Sun afternoon. We got it from a dairy in Texas! He told me he left at 6am & arrived at my house around 4:45pm! :ep Hw made good time. I got 2 gals of it. The second gal I am seperating the cream to make butter with. I am trying to convience dh to get a lowline jersey too, but so far he is not going for it. He was raised on a dairy farm in WI & says he has milked enough cows in his lifetime. We are butchering the momma angus soon & I am trying to convience him to sell the other heifer @ the auction to get a lowline then. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, he said he doesn't have any available right now, but he said there is a farm in TN that has medium sized Jerseys for sale of breeding age............for $3,000!!!!!!!!

Um, no thanks. :p

Holsteins are cheaper!